5.4 p0340 code

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue back in the summer, my cousin a ford mechanic took my truck, said the chains were almost totally gone, and i had parts of the guides broken off and floating in the oil pan. Pulled the entire front of the motor apart installed new parts and dropped the pan def was a scary moment considering ford did the phaser repairs a year ago....apparently they never installed new parts in that location, also the timing was off about 2 links. cost a grand to do but thankfully having a ford mechanic in the family pays off with warrenty work being done at my own shop

Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford F150 5.4 3valve

Same problem with Cam Phasers. Replaced phasers truck ran fine for about a
month. Tore truck down again both cam phaser broke into again. Anyone know why phasers would keep breaking?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a newer part number for the phaser now. The old ones had rolled pins holding the phaser together and the new one has solid pins. The old ones fail easily. Also you have to be very careful not to put any pressure on the front of the phaser during install or it will damage them. Someone posted pics of a tear-down of the old style on the site here. You can compare it to what you have so you know what part# you got if you don't have the paperwork on the ones you installed.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
This is in the Articles and How To section. Is it the thread you were referring to?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...placement.html

Quick Reply: 5.4 p0340 code