Free oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Free oil

Looks like G Tech has another rebate for the price of their 5 qt G Oil 5w-30. This is the only Polyol Ester oil on the market and unlike others that claim to be ester based, this one is 100% ester. As with any base oil, it is not the magic bullet. Polyols are incredibly lubricious and will stand up to anything you'll ever throw at it except water. If you are driving short cycles where the engine is not getting up to full temp for at least 20 minutes, this is not for you. As long as the PCV system is working and wicking away condensation, this oil has tremendous solvency meaning it's going to clean the internals of the engine like nothing you've ever used. If you are using a mechanical oil gauge, expect higher oil pressure across the spectrum. If you are **** about using a Xw-20 oil, this oil , although classifies as a 30 viscosity at temp, is just barely above the 30 viscosity on the Kinematic scale or better said, it's almost a 20. You and your engine will never know the difference and you might even get a hair more fuel mileage with it. If your sump takes more than the 5 qt bottle, you can buy 1 quart bottles or top off with any quality oil in Xw-20 or Xw-30. Considering the price, what's not to like?
http://www.getg.com/campaigns/reques...cID=getg110818

Obviously, read and understand the rebate. It requires the UPC code from the back of the bottle and the ORIGINAL sales receipt. The offer is good thru September 17, 2011. You must submit the rebate request no later than October 15,2011. This oil appears to be a Walmart exclusive as that's the only place I've been able to find it on the market.

Last edited by Labnerd; 08-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Polyols are incredibly lubricious
Lubricious?
I had to look that one up, and according to dictionary.com it means:
arousing or expressive of sexual desire; lu****l; lecherous.

I'm guessing you should be using gloves when you handle that stuff.

Labnerd, not to hijack the thread, but since you mentioned it not being good for short driving cycles, what is a good oil strategy for an older truck (97 f250 5.4) that frequently has very short driving cycles (like 10 minutes)? I've already gone to mobil 1 synth 5/30 for the winters and was planning on trying 0/30 this winter. I also use an engine block heater when it gets below 10F. Have just been using standard 5/30 in the summers. I've had this truck for 15 years and would like to keep it going as long as i can.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Lubricious?
I had to look that one up, and according to dictionary.com it means:
arousing or expressive of sexual desire; lu****l; lecherous.
LOL!!! I wasn't aware of that definition. This would be an excellent post for our MOM Board except that I started it. DRAT! And I could have won the 75 bucks this month. Oh well.

Assuming that the truck gets driven weekly but in most cases short miles where the engine is not driven enough to reach full temps at least 20 minutes and probably doesn't reach full temp in your winter. If that's fairly close, you need to stop the M1 as it's probably at the bottom of what you need. If you are a Mobil fan, I'd suggest their Mobil Clean High Mileage all year round. You need to be judging the oil you use by the CCS rating and base used. For the 5x-30 MCHM oil the Cold Crank Simulator is 6000 with a Viscosity Index of 160. That's a hair below M1 and at a far cheaper price. You'll also pick up a seal swell agent in the formulation to help those old seals stay supple. The high mileage oil will also handle any sludge formation better. Another good choice would be Pennzoil High Mileage in 5w-30.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...h_Mileage.aspx
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D5293.htm

Last edited by Labnerd; 08-28-2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Added data sheet
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did people get the rebate money back from the last time they did this oil for free?

Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I looked for it at the local walmart.. not stocked here.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
I looked for it at the local walmart.. not stocked here.
JH, are you sure they're not just out of it because they're offering it for free? They stock it in So. Cal.

Quick Reply: Free oil