Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-1999, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown head gasket

I parked my truck today after driving about 20 miles and I noticed water dripping out of the muffler, it turned out to be a small puddle underneath my truck(about 12 ounces or so) I went under to check it out and it was coming right out of the muffler, does anyone know what that could be from?

------------------
99 F-150 sc, 4x4,5.4,wedgewood blue,mods are on the way

Old 07-05-1999, 06:25 AM
Are sure it wasn't condensation from the A/C?They can really put out a lot of water after you stop.
Paul

Old 07-05-1999, 08:38 AM
Ouch!!!!

OK, do this: Take it out and drive it a couple of miles, just enough to heat it up. Then come back, shut it off, pop the hood, and as soon as its cool enough to do it without hospitalizing yourself pull the plugs. If you have a blown head gasket that allows water into the exhaust you're going to have water come out of one of those plug holes. When they are all out have someone stand on one side of the truck while you stand on the other and then have a third person crank the engine over. See if any stuff (coolent) shoots out of one of the plug holes. If it does put it all back together and take that '99 straight back to the dealer and raise hell. Brand new trucks that cost as much as a modest 1980's house are not supposed to break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what to know the truth, fin2lean is most likely right. By the way, a blown head gasket that allows water to escape (they don't always) will also allow exhaust gasses back into the coolent so the stuff in your puke-tank will take on sort of a grey color and infact will be discolored immediately after running the engine, in fact it might be boiling too.

Thom

Old 07-05-1999, 01:56 PM
The a/c wasn't turned on so it's not that, and yes it was coming from the muffler and not the tailpipe..I will keep an eye on it and see what happens

------------------
99 F-150 sc, 4x4,5.4,wedgewood blue,mods are on the way

Old 07-06-1999, 12:14 AM
is the water leaking green? if not, it's probably just a lot of condensation in your muffler that found a way out ( a leak). this is your muffler and not your tailpipe? so you do have a muffler leak on a 99, bring it in to dealer, the plugs are to hard to get to on a 5.4L to even check for gasket leak.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket