2V PI 5.4 differences.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2V PI 5.4 differences.

Hey guys, I am in need of a new engine for my '99 F-150. I have found several 00-03 5.4s for around $800, but every '99 engine I find is $1200-1600. Aside from the intake, what are the differences and why are the '99s so expensive?

Thanks in advance, and I did search and could fins nothing concrete.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Not sure, miles maybe ? 99-03 and some 04's are the same. Your correct about the intake. The 99 may have a Forged Crank, but so did the 2000 if I recall. That really doesn't matter anyway unless you plan to build it. Go for the best deal/low miles. 5fours are plentiful, purchasing used is the best/cheapest way to go when in need.

The problem or more less where you take a chance, = buying used and that you never know. The people whom take care of their vehicles outweigh the ones who don't. Odds are in your favor and it's still better going this route than it is purchasing a reman IMO.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the quick response! Actually the '99 engines I am finding are ones with high miles in comparison to the later models.

My dad runs a scrap yard and has been in the car business for over 40 years, so he knows all the guys who own the local yards, so I am not too worried about getting a good engine. I just need something simple as this will be a winter driver/hauler.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tirefryr
Thanks for the quick response! Actually the '99 engines I am finding are ones with high miles in comparison to the later models.

My dad runs a scrap yard and has been in the car business for over 40 years, so he knows all the guys who own the local yards, so I am not too worried about getting a good engine. I just need something simple as this will be a winter driver/hauler.
I know that mint parts, like original body parts are harder to come by. Maybe the engine being a 99 falls into that category. Kind of a stretch, but....

Anyway, there's a few small differences to contend with when you swap out from a 98 model. Do you already know what these are ?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:56 AM
No idea. I just know that '99 up is PI, so I know I have to get a PI engine. Well, not have to, but I am trying to make this as easy as possible. I bought the truck with the engine torn apart. Knowing the guy who tried to repair it, I just found it cheaper to drop in a replacement. The guy originally did head gaskets on it, and of course, he didn't degree the cams, and it broke a valve, damaged a piston, and who knows what else. The guy then proceeded to tear down the passengers side of the block when he realized he was over his head, and he lost the intake and throttle body, so after adding up the potential $$$, I just figured I'd drop one in instead.

Quick Reply: 2V PI 5.4 differences.