2001 5.4l cracked valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 5.4l cracked valve covers

Have a friend that was told cracked valve covers were causing ruff running and misfires. He replaced coil packs that code showed were bad and still has same problem. Mechanic told him cracked valve covers were causing the problem. Mechanic sprayed starting fluid around area and engine smothed out. I told him it sould like a vacuum leak. Anybody heard of this? Thanks for a reply.
Ray

Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unlikely that the cam covers are cracked unless you were in an accident. It would take a lot before they crack. Could be a bad intake manifold gasket that allows starter fluid to enter the engine. Has anyone inspected or changed the sparkplugs, the PCV valve, or a possible broken vac line as well.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Unlikely that the cam covers are cracked unless you were in an accident. It would take a lot before they crack. Could be a bad intake manifold gasket that allows starter fluid to enter the engine. Has anyone inspected or changed the sparkplugs, the PCV valve, or a possible broken vac line as well.
I know a couple of the coil packs were changed because they were identified w/ a code reader. Not sure what else has been changed, I'll find out and post. It just sounded odd to be that this would cause ruff running and misfires. He had another person look at it and he sprayed starting fluid around this area and the engine smoothed out until the ether ran out. I did not witness this. Anyadvise would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ray

Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caaraa
help to up
look the answer
?? is this some kinda new dyslexia?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caaraa
help to up
look the answer
Probably a brain tumor. I'd get that looked at right away.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Lol @ the last 3 posts..

Yea. cracked valve covers eh? First I have heard of that. Like glc said, unless it was in an accident, they are not going to crack. Did they find cracks? or just throwing that out there to ****** up $500 dollars worth of repairs which is probably just a pcv line with a crack in it and a $30 dollar fix.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Sorry, Guys got some bad info. I was told over and over again it was the valve cover even after questioning it, and after further investigation what he meant to say was intake. Thanks for the responding to an idiot.
Ray

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
That sounds a bit more like it. Hope you got it fixed

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4l cracked valve covers