My truck "Vibrates, Shudders in Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i did my flush- i took out the return line at the trans and ran the engine. took about 14 qts before clean fluid starting coming out.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by glc
That extractor isn't going to get any more fluid out than a pan drop would. The pan holds about 5 quarts, the whole tranny holds about 14.
Could you please explain how you know the extractor doesn't pull out any more than 5 quarts & no more that that, before it gets here & I hook it up, so I can send it back before using it.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doesn't this 'extractor' simply pull the fluid out thru the trans dip stick tube??

If that's the case, that's all it's gonna pick up....

the rest of the fluid is in the torque converter and the rest of the internals...

I added one of these so I can drain the pan and not have to drop it...

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 05-06-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Yes, that's right. So after emptying the pan, I will run the engine & go thru the gears to refill the pan, & empty it again, & again until I drain all the fluid out.

Originally Posted by MitchF150
Doesn't this 'extractor' simply pull the fluid out thru the trans dip stick tube??

If that's the case, that's all it's gonna pick up....

the rest of the fluid is in the torque converter and the rest of the internals...

I added one of these so I can drain the pan and not have to drop it...

Mitch

Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, that's right. So after emptying the pan, I will run the engine & go thru the gears to refill the pan, & empty it again, & again until I drain all the fluid out.
It doesn't work like that.... Once the pan is empty, there will be nothing for the pickup to draw, so there will be nothing to push the rest of the fluid out of the TC.

You'd have to remove the outgoing trans line and get a bucket and refill the pan. Start the engine and let the pump empty the pan into the bucket. Then you would shut it down, refill the pan and repeat. There is a write up of the whole process in detail somewhere around here..

Mitch

Old 05-07-2011, 11:14 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Or you could simply pay a shop to hook up their machine and do a complete exchange.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
It doesn't work like that.... Once the pan is empty, there will be nothing for the pickup to draw, so there will be nothing to push the rest of the fluid out of the TC.

You'd have to remove the outgoing trans line and get a bucket and refill the pan. Start the engine and let the pump empty the pan into the bucket. Then you would shut it down, refill the pan and repeat. There is a write up of the whole process in detail somewhere around here..

Mitch
Here's a write-up that I'm "now"going to use. Looks like I'll be giving my Extractor away at Christmas to one of my relatives that simply wants to change fluids without changing the filter, & getting their hands dirty!

Trans Flush Procedure:

It's easier with a second person, and sometimes helps prevent spills.

1. Things you need to get started:

a. The transmission system holds almost 18 quarts of ATF, and you must waste a couple of quarts to be sure you get it all purged and replaced, so buy 20 quarts of MERCON or MERCON V ATF. You may use either conventional or synthetic, as long as it meets the above requirements. Don't use MERCON SP, it is not good for these transmissions. MERCON has been discontinued by Ford and is getting a bit harder to find. MERCON V has been changed to be compatible with these transmissions.
b. A 10 foot length of clear tubing and one hose clamp, sized to fit over your cooler hose. There have been different size cooler lines over the years, so check before buying!
c. If you don't already have a special funnel that fits into the transmission dipstick tube, then you will need one of those, too.
2. WARM UP THE TRANSMISSION!
3. Disconnect the transmission-fluid return line at the transmission - from where the ATF returns to the transmission from the cooler. This is the line towards the rear of the transmission. Clamp the clear tubing over the line that you removed from the transmission. This is where the old ATF from the torque convertor and coolers will come out.
4. This is where the second person comes in handy. One person starts the engine, while the other holds the line over the drain bucket. A clothes pin can replace the person holding the line in the bucket.
a. Run the engine until you see some air in the clear tubing. As soon as you see air shut off the engine.
b. While the engine is running in step 4a above, move the shifter through each position from P to 1, pausing about 5 seconds at each position. This will change some fluid that would otherwise be trapped in the valve body, accumulators, and clutches.
c. Refill through the dipstick tube with 6 quarts of new ATF.
5. Repeat steps 4a and 4c until you have added 19 quarts. When you add the 19th quart, stop. Don't run the engine again.
6. Remove the clear line and reconnect the cooler line to the transmission.
7. Check the fluid level and use the last quart of ATF to top off.
8. Properly dispose of the used transmission fluid.
9. Congratulate yourself! And your engine starter/killer person.

Now that we understand the basic procedure, let's muddy the water with the options:

Optional: Change the tranny filter.

2. After stopping the engine and before adding fluid, remove the pan, replace the tranny filter, and install the pan. Don't buy a new pan gasket. The original is reusable.

I replace the transmission filter every other fluid change. Note that Ford does not recommend ever changing the filter. I've opened filters with over 300,000 miles that were not even close to being clogged.

It just pulls out, there are no bolts that hold it. It is held in place by the pan. Make sure that the O-ring is removed, too. Sometimes it does not come out with the filter.

Optional: Drain the torque convertor. Add the following to paragraph 2 above:

If your truck was built before August, 2001, then you may have a drain plug in the torque convertor. If you do, then you can also drain the torque convertor as part of step 2 above. Some people think it is necessary, but I don't. Running the engine in the next steps will pump the fluid out of the torque converter. If your transmission was built after August 2001, you don't have a drain plug in the torque converter.
To drain the torque converter remove the shield (but NOT the upper right bolt - this one only needs to be loosened) and turn the flywheel until you see the drain plug. If you drain the torque convertor, be sure to replace the drain plug before you continue.
If you drain the torque convertor, then the old ATF won't come out of the end of the cooler line until the torque convertor is filled with ATF. So instead of waiting until you see air bubbles in the drain line in step 5a, run the engine for about 30 seconds while changing gears for step 4b, then cut off the engine.

Optional: Blow out the coolers. Add the following to step 3 above.

It's not necessary, but some folks want to get every possible drop of the old ATF out of the system before they add new ATF. If you drained the torque convertor, then you might also want to blow the ATF out of the coolers and cooler lines. If you have an air compressor, you can reduce the pressure to about 15 PSI, remove the cooler "hot" line from the front of the tranny, and blow air into that line. That will force the ATF in the coolers and lines out the cooler return line at the back of the tranny. DO NOT use air pressure of more than about 15 PSI! Then be sure to reconnect that line before you continue with paragrap

Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c
i have the same problem exactly

i already changed my trans fluid- transfer case fluid and rear end fluid.

im leaning towards either bad TC or Bad COP's or Bad tune
Well, after driving almost 300 miles with this vibration, my computer finally coughed up a code, P0308: "Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected". Looks like I'll be changing a coil soon. Now why did Ford design a computer to throw up codes many driven miles after the problem starts up? My GM car throws a code up almost immediatelly after a problem starts.

Last edited by bigblackmachine; 05-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblackmachine
Well, after driving almost 300 miles with this vibration, my computer finally coughed up a code, P0308: "Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected". Looks like I'll be changing a coil soon. Now why did Ford design a computer to throw up codes many driven miles after the problem starts up? My GM car throws a code up almost immediatelly after a problem starts.
I'd be wiling to bet that GM car breaks down a heck of allot more.. Ever change the plugs and all? might be time for that.. Just a maintenance deal..

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
well i put my truck back to stock tune. so far the shutter hasnt come back- but i only driven it for about 150 miles so far so we will continue this process.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:04 AM
vibration/overdrive

Originally Posted by bigblackmachine
I have an 02' Lincoln Blackwood, (same drivetrain as the Navigator), with 23000 original miles. I recently have had problems with the truck, at fairly regular times but not always, vibrating as I accelerate from 45-50 MPH when it goes into overdrive. It does eventually stop vibrating after a while as I get to higher speeds. It will also tremble as I go up very steep hills at lower speeds of 25-35 MPH. If I drop out of overdrive into 3rd on flat land, it will stop shuddering, (it's as if I'm going over small ripples's in the pavement), or if I'm going up a steep hill, I have to drop it into 2nd for the hesitation to stop. Engine light code of P0174 comes up, ("System too Lean (Bank 2). My guess is that I have a partially clogged injector. Any input would be greatly appreciated, before I take my rig into the "Stealershiup".
It's gonna vibrate, if it is in to high a gear. use that button on the stick, to take it out of overdrive, that should solve the problem.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:16 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
After 10 years I would hope that the problem is fixed.

The following 2 users liked this post by glc:
Old 04-26-2021, 10:33 PM
Yes, that is true. There are still people out there that can be helped by reading this. Even after all this time, Imagine that.

Quick Reply: My truck "Vibrates, Shudders in Overdrive