MSD ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
Summit Racing has the real thing (Motorcraft DG511) for $39.95 each. That's 9 bucks less than Rock Auto.
I didn't know that. Thank you for the info

Originally Posted by jethat
I think MSD makes a decent product. Are there coils "better" then the stock ones that lasted you over 100000 miles? Who knows. Motorcraft is the sure thing. Try Rock auto and see if they will sell them cheaper like they do everything else.
That's the info I'm looking for. Are they better, and why are they better. I can't ask msd because they are in the market of selling ignition parts. They will tell me yes even if it's untrue

Originally Posted by jbrew
I disagree, I HAVE answered your question. I'm not sure how I could simplify much more than I have. Maybe you'll like the other guys answers. Good Luck, all the same.

BTW, I've never seen a low grade misfire @ idle. So you mean, that tool will diagnose a misfiring coil when it isn't misfiring? Or that it's sensitive enough, it can pick out a low grade misfiring coil before load? I suppose that may be possible. Then why did you replace all your coils? With that probe, you surely could tell if a coil was completely healthy. Do tell, I don't want to waste any cash on it, if all it does is detect current. With the older type quick probe versions, you had to strap it to the coil, run a couple wires from it into the cab, attach a LED to the wires and go for a drive and find the low grade load. They've come along way!
I'm not really trying to be a smart *** here, but you have given me zero information on msd cop's. Lots of info on visteon/motorcrafts, and for that I thank you.

The waekon tool has a probe that you place against the COP and you can adjust the sensitivity with a little wheel switch until the little lights start flashing. Each time the tool detects a spark, it will flash a light showing sufficient kilovolt and flash another light showing sufficient Arc Duration. This determines if the coil is firing the spark plug consistently, intermittently misfiring or not firing at all. It's pretty handy and I have verified it works. It found the 2 bad ones in my truck now and the other 2 that I replaced. It's consistent with the engine "vibration" when it doesn't fire, and if I move the cops to different cylinders, it's consistant. The low grade misfire follows the cop.

Why did I change all my cops? Because I had 2 go out within a week. I figured the rest were on the way, so I did them all at once.

Last edited by A DuB; 03-06-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by A DuB
I didn't know that. Thank you for the info

That's the info I'm looking for. Are they better, and why are they better. I can't ask msd because they are in the market of selling ignition parts. They will tell me yes even if it's untrue

I'm not really trying to be a smart *** here, but you have given me zero information on msd cop's. Lots of info on visteon/motorcrafts, and for that I thank you.

The waekon tool has a probe that you place against the COP and you can adjust the sensitivity with a little wheel switch until the little lights start flashing. Each time the tool detects a spark, it will flash a light showing sufficient kilovolt and flash another light showing sufficient Arc Duration. This determines if the coil is firing the spark plug consistently, intermittently misfiring or not firing at all. It's pretty handy and I have verified it works. It found the 2 bad ones in my truck now and the other 2 that I replaced. It's consistent with the engine "vibration" when it doesn't fire, and if I move the cops to different cylinders, it's consistant. The low grade misfire follows the cop.

Why did I change all my cops? Because I had 2 go out within a week. I figured the rest were on the way, so I did them all at once.
Yes, I answered your MSD question completely. Ignore it if you want. I gave you info on coils period. Buy the MSD COP's, - I'm not stopping yuh lol. The info I gave is something you obviously don't want to here. What's going to happen 3rd time around? Maybe it'll finally take. Enjoy that miracle tool, it's one of a kind.

Good Luck

Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Cannot find a part # for te newer plug design?

Got a line on a cheap set of New-Used COP's. probably good at 600+RW

Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Yes, I answered your MSD question completely. Ignore it if you want. I gave you info on coils period. Buy the MSD COP's, - I'm not stopping yuh lol. The info I gave is something you obviously don't want to here. What's going to happen 3rd time around? Maybe it'll finally take. Enjoy that miracle tool, it's one of a kind.

Good Luck
I just re read everything you posted just to make sure I didn't miss anything.... Yep still ZERO information regarding specifically msd coils. General coil info, you gave an abundance of, and as stated before - here it is a third time - I do appreciate it.

I'm done with your the sarcastic comments anyway. Im uncertain if you mean for it to be funny, witty or superior, but it doesnt come off very well...

For the record, waekon makes more than one of this "miricle tool", as you call it.. Anyone could get one......

Good day, sir...

Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM

I just re read everything you posted just to make sure I didn't miss anything.... Yep still ZERO information regarding specifically msd coils. General coil info, you gave an abundance of, and as stated before - here it is a third time - I do appreciate it.

I'm done with your the sarcastic comments anyway. Im uncertain if you mean for it to be funny, witty or superior, but it doesnt come off very well...

For the record, waekon makes more than one of this "miricle tool", as you call it.. Anyone could get one......

Good day, sir...
It's called sharing what ones learned. With simple quick Probes (no matter who's buying the label) or info with COP ignition coils "specific"; -I've done my time. IF MSD's were free from failures, then things may be different. As far as I'm concerned , they're categorized just as I explained, -completely! Obviously, if you keep accusing a person of things that don't exist because your just not getting it, your going to get ridiculed at some point. You worked you way up that as it did not start out that way. That "sir", just suits your character.

Good day to you, and like I've said all along, -

Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
As far as I'm concerned , they're categorized just as I explained, -completely!
You categorized "cheap ebay coils" and "visteon/motorcraft". Nowhere do you say where the MSD coils should be placed. By this logic, am i to assume that since its not the visteon/motorcraft brand then its cheap ebay?

Obviously, if you keep accusing a person of things that don't exist because your just not getting it, your going to get ridiculed at some point. You worked you way up that as it did not start out that way.
At some point? Your first sentence was semi sarcastic
All you have do is, - do it right the first time. Search would of got you there in a hurry.
When in fact, i did search. You automatically assumed i did not search and sent me a vibe of arrogance

Now the sarcasm is flowing strong...
BTW, I've never seen a low grade misfire @ idle. So you mean, that tool will diagnose a misfiring coil when it isn't misfiring? Or that it's sensitive enough, it can pick out a low grade misfiring coil before load? I suppose that may be possible. Then why did you replace all your coils? With that probe, you surely could tell if a coil was completely healthy. Do tell, I don't want to waste any cash on it, if all it does is detect current.
Maybe i misspoke when calling it a "low grade misfire at idle"... What im saying is that the coil is intermittently firing causing a rough idle, or vibration at idle.

Sarcasm still flowing
What's going to happen 3rd time around? Maybe it'll finally take. Enjoy that miracle tool, it's one of a kind.
That "sir", just suits your character.
I literally laughed out loud on this one. You know nothing of my character; I know nothing of yours, nor do i claim to. I was simply returning the sarcasm i was dished. Lets not start a pissing match...

Lets start over...

Jbrew, where do you categorize the MSD COP's?

Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Yea but , you got the last word! I think I can take you. Well alright, since there's a bit of reluctance hitting this thread, I digress...

MSD's are in the same category as Accel, eBay cheapies and whatnot. It's now known across the boards and sites. It didn't use to be. Simply because not to many have tried them. This quote from the Mustang forums pretty much sums them up therefore categorizes, -

"I've seen them go past 80,000 miles and fail. I've seen them fail at 10,000 miles, but I've also gotten a few bad MSD coils out of the box."

If you search it out, you'll find your answers. Search with google or like. A lot of failures from out of the box or shortly there after. More than a hunch, when it comes to COP system coils, your either getting Chinese knock-offs or the real deal that the manufacturer uses.

Alanis was selling a batch of true Motorcraft sets. Factory paint marked sets up until a few weeks ago. He sold out fast. He was asking 189.00 for a set and he had over 50 sets. He got it, sold out in a hurry lol

Alanis is the go to for coils now a days. He gets the Visteon (from the Hungary plant) or Vista-Pro which are the same as Motorcraft and manufactured to Ford spec. They come and go and he's out of them again.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-07-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you for clearing that up. Your information prompted me to check google. What I found - msd cop's are also made in china. That little tidbit was posted on the msd site forums, straight from the horses mouth. I also found various failures in the mustang communities.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. Your information prompted me to check google. What I found - msd cop's are also made in china. That little tidbit was posted on the msd site forums, straight from the horses mouth. I also found various failures in the mustang communities.
Right, and that's how it is, with the COP IG system coils.

What the Chinese COP system coil replacements have going for them is price and some of them can actually go the distance. But that's hit or miss, -pun intended lol. Suppliers can paint them up and sticker their name to them, but they are nothing more than a generic cheapy.

That leaves only two categories. , -

I had that memorized at one time lol. It's a Visteon memo from what I recall. The Chinese coils are also very vulnerable to surge, unresilient to say the least. They just can't take much before the windings short due to the single wire mag build.

Problem is, although the good ones do come around now and at a very good price, they sell out quickly.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: MSD ignition coils