Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump???

Hi, not an F-150, but close enough. My wife's 2001 Ford Expedition xlt 4x2 wont start. After checking a few things, the fuel pressure at the rails is 0. I am thinking fuel pump, especially with all the 10% eth fuel out there now and the fact that wifey always runs it darn near out of fuel before stopping at the gas station.

My question. Is there anything else that I should be checking? I checked the fuses and relays, and changed the fuel filter for the heck of it. Checked the PATS key setup along with her aftermarket alarm, everything is good.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,

Devildog101

Old 03-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check the fuel pump shutoff reset? Your owners manual will explain where it is in your vehicle.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Check the fuel pump shutoff reset? Your owners manual will explain where it is in your vehicle.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I checked the inertia switch as well, all is good there.

Another question, can I just replace the pump? Or do I have to replace the entire assembly? strainer/pump/pickup/etc?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
U dont have to but i replaced everything when i did it, it was only a extra 60 bucks and i figured tht i wouldnt have to drop the tank again incase the sending unit was to go bad. plus it was alot easier all u do is drop the new unit in place and bolt it up, when u just replace the pump and strainer u have to take it apart. btw it was only 160$ for the whole unit, check rockauto for one they have great prices.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump???