broken spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken spark plugs

Hello everyone. New to this forum stuff, but seems like it is very helpful. I don't have a broken spark plug yet but have heard its quite a problem. I have a 2006 4x4 XLT, 5.4 with about 47,000 miles on it. Truck runs fine and all (minus my earlier post about the strange noise while in 4HI)but was wondering if mileage has anything to do with it? I figure that if I go ahead and replace them now while the mileage is fairly low, I stand a better chance of not getting in this situation. If I'm not too off base with the previous question, what brand of plug is the best replacement? Thanks for the time.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome. There is a ton of info here, if you prefer do a search using the search button above. Also under Techical Articles there is one or more procedures on the subject. A lot of guys here have changed them, myself included. Follow the procedures used that are proven and if you do break one or more purchasing the correct tool such as the Lisle 65600 makes the repair fairly easy. Yes changing them earlier is better than later from what it appears. Motorcraft plugs and nickle antiseize applied to the electrode shield is the most popular combination. Good luck. Lisle 65600 http://denlorstools.com/

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 01-22-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 PM
definitely want to change them sooner, rather than later. the motorcraft plugs seem to still be the choice for new plugs due to heat range,etc. the main thing to remember is to apply anti-seize to the new plugs to avoid the same problem next time. do a forum search for more details. some guys have replaced the originals with other brands, but the final verdict seems to be out yet....

Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Good luck! I had my plugs changed in my 2006 at 47,000 miles. Unfortunately, they broke 7 out of 8.

Quick Reply: broken spark plugs