07 5.4 Funny Starting Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 5.4 Funny Starting Sometimes

Hello,

My 07 5.4 starts funny sometimes after I have been driving it and I shutdown to say go inside to a fast food restrauant and come out in 20 minutes. If I leave the key in the RUN position before I crank that seems to help. It does not like to have the key thrown in and turned straight to START.
It always starts, it just hesitates and almost sounds like it stops and tries to start again. It never has any problems with cold starts. Truck runs great and no issues other than this weirdness.

Oil is always changed on time, I run quality fuel and use Techron addtive every once in a while.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wreedKR
Hello,

My 07 5.4 starts funny sometimes after I have been driving it and I shutdown to say go inside to a fast food restrauant and come out in 20 minutes. If I leave the key in the RUN position before I crank that seems to help. It does not like to have the key thrown in and turned straight to START.
It always starts, it just hesitates and almost sounds like it stops and tries to start again. It never has any problems with cold starts. Truck runs great and no issues other than this weirdness.

Oil is always changed on time, I run quality fuel and use Techron addtive every once in a while.
how many miles are on this unit?
Is there any codes present?

try cleaning the MAF sensor...& clean your battery posts

Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by enriched
how many miles are on this unit?
Is there any codes present?

try cleaning the MAF sensor...& clean your battery posts

It has almost 50000 miles on it, however it has had this condition since new but seems to be occuring more often.

No CEL light.

I will try to clean both of those. Where is the MAF located on these trucks?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
In older vehicles the starter was controled by the ign switch power goes straight to ground. On newer models the starter is controled via computer the computer has more or less a checklist before it will start a vehicle. This is why on newer vehicles you cant throw the key in and go it takes a couple of seconds in on position. If it takes longer then a few seconds it may be a problem in the circuit. If you are concerned about it take to a shop with testing equipment to test starter draw and load test the battery. But I suspect there is nothing wrong, especially if the truck starts right after the starter is engaged.

Quick Reply: 07 5.4 Funny Starting Sometimes