Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
5.4L Misfire

Misfiring can be caused be many issues. Fuel filters seem to be the leading cause. Find out what other issues your truck may have to be cause these problems

Helpful Advice
Print Wikipost

5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't waste your time changing the COP, 9 times outta 10 it's the boot. You can buy replacement boots at NAPA. They get dried out and cracked. EZ fix and a lot less expensive. Scuff the contactor for the coil so it has a good conection. Been chasing COP's on my rig for awhile before I figured it out. Don't forget abou the dielectric grease before you put it on the plug.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AK Bubba
Don't waste your time changing the COP, 9 times outta 10 it's the boot.
That's not true at all, -completely false.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Okay... so I took the time to read through this entire thread and have experienced and changed quite a few of the things you guys have suggested. However, after working the obvious issues, I 'may' be chasing a ghost similar to Bigwheel's... that said, I still have a few things to rule out.

The details: 2006 5.4L 3V, 137k miles, all highway to work and back, original owner. I have an Edge Evolution II and the only thing I use it for is diagnostics and towing my boat in the summer. Only engine mod I have is a K&N Drop in factory replacement, no exhaust or any changes like that.

Started as a rough running issue, no CEL. Did a plug change at 120k, went with Motorcrafts. Figured it was COPs, changed the entire set (Motorcraft for those keeping track)... no dice. So, I figured it was a fuel delivery issue and since I change my fuel filter every other oil change, didn't think it could have been that, but who knows. I don't run it empty or close to empty, since my commute is rather lengthy, I fill up everytime I hit about a 1/4 tank. On my Edge I can check the AFRP and it seemed within specs (38-44psi) under normal operation. When I turn the key to on without turning the motor over, I was loosing pressure drastically, so I assumed it was the fuel pump, also because I didn't hear it priming any longer like it used to. Changed it and still don't really hear it running on startup (maybe I'm going deaf?) and now this is where it gets complicated...

Symptoms I have been dealing with are the following (after the plugs/COPs/Fuel pump were changed):
Hard starting (Spins and doesn't sound like it wants to fire...)
Idles rough in park.
Has hardly any power under normal driving and hard acceleration
No coolant leakage under 3 & 4
CEL light is illuminated now.
The codes read from the Edge:
P0172 - Bank 1 system too rich
P0300 - Random misfire detected
P0316 - Misfire detected on startup (first 1k revolutions)
P1000 - OBD systems readiness test not complete.

So.... My next guess to look at or have Ford take a look at (depending on complexity) are:
MAF cleaning, TB Cleaning, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Injectors, IAC, EGR

I was told that I may have to replace my TB... but I'm not too sure that is the culprit, sounds like my dealer wants to make some $$. Maybe check the O2 sensors?

I'm open to suggestions from ANYONE...

Old 10-15-2011, 07:49 PM

You can start by removing the K&N and running the correct dry element. You may be contaminating the MAF. Ford doesn't oil their filters. You can upgrade by running an Amsoil dry element. But clean all the contamination off the MAF before doing so. Take it apart and clean w/denatured alcohol, do it right. ANYTHING to do with Air Metering, you always reset to default for program learn or adaptive.

Reset the software back to original settings , ie,- program to factory settings. So basically bring it back to the way it was and start from there.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Ok, Cleaned the MAF and changed the element to an OE drop in. I always run on Factory settings when I'm not towing, so I was there. Cleared the DTCs and again... no dice. Still running rough and is hard to start.

Got a new code this time though, on top of the P1000 & P0172:
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal/Biased Stuck Rich/ Bank 1/Sensor 1

Time for an O2 sensor?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jbuck06
Ok, Cleaned the MAF and changed the element to an OE drop in. I always run on Factory settings when I'm not towing, so I was there. Cleared the DTCs and again... no dice. Still running rough and is hard to start.

Got a new code this time though, on top of the P1000 & P0172:
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal/Biased Stuck Rich/ Bank 1/Sensor 1

Time for an O2 sensor?
While on factory settings /default settings, -disconnect the battery for about a 1/2 hour and try it again. The Edge has caused these problems in the past, you want to confirm that it isn't now.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Did it this morning before I left for work.. same issues. So, on the ride home this afternoon, I had noticeably low power on the interstate. Times where I needed to accelerate and pushed it to the floor and had hardly any throttle response. Took it directly to a friend of mine's shop close to the house and pulled it up on the rack... My bank 1 catalytic converter was glowing red and maxed the thermometer out. Gonna take a look at the cat/O2 sensor in the morning, I have a sneaking suspicion that my cat and/or my O2 sensor on that side is smoked!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could have an injector acting up on the bank 1 side. That could have caused the rich condition and now the failure of the CAT on that side. Because you only have the issue on bank 1 and you already changed plugs and COPS it would not likely be something common to both sides like anything from the intake back to the air filter. I would focus on the injectors, and the COP connectors on bank 1. If a COP is not firing this could also cause the failure of the CAT since it wouldn't burn the fuel but not hydro-lock like a stuck injector would have caused. There is a small o-ring type seal in the COP harness connector that can get pushed down in the connector and prevent it from going all the way onto the COP connector. I had this happen to me and I didn't get a CEL for COP circuit failure but I would get the MISFIRE on this coil during first 1000 code and sometimes during normal driving. I would change the injectors on bank 1 and check all the injector and COP connections very closely or your just going to end up having another bad CAT on that side if you don't find the root cause. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Electron-Jack
You could have an injector acting up on the bank 1 side. That could have caused the rich condition and now the failure of the CAT on that side. Because you only have the issue on bank 1 and you already changed plugs and COPS it would not likely be something common to both sides like anything from the intake back to the air filter. I would focus on the injectors, and the COP connectors on bank 1. If a COP is not firing this could also cause the failure of the CAT since it wouldn't burn the fuel but not hydro-lock like a stuck injector would have caused. There is a small o-ring type seal in the COP harness connector that can get pushed down in the connector and prevent it from going all the way onto the COP connector. I had this happen to me and I didn't get a CEL for COP circuit failure but I would get the MISFIRE on this coil during first 1000 code and sometimes during normal driving. I would change the injectors on bank 1 and check all the injector and COP connections very closely or your just going to end up having another bad CAT on that side if you don't find the root cause. Just my 2 cents worth.
Man... where were you last Thursday! After determining the cats were smoked today and fixing that issue, we fired it up and still had a miss. Simple logic told me exactly what you talked about above... After I changed the fuel pump thinking it was that, I had a cylinder misfire on #3 and I just assumed since I had not done COPs yet, it was that. So today we fired it up and still having the miss, I thought, well damn... it's def something on the bank 1 side, so I went right to cylinder #3 and unplugged the injector. Truck started running as smooth as the day I bought it, needless to say I found it. After pulling the COP and plug on # 3 and the ones on either side, that specific plug was black telling me #3 had been hydro locked for some time which killed the cats and probably caused all my other problems!

So, several days and quite a big chunk of money later.. my truck is running perfect again and I have all the power and then some due to the addition of high flow cats and a magnaflow exhaust setup, new COPs, a new injector, fuel pump and plugs... I should be good to go for another 100k (knock on wood).

Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Been watching your thread, But I was as stumped as you. Good to hear you found the problem.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Glad you found the issue, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I've made the same mistake chasing common components(fuel pump, TB, MAF, fuel filter) that would effect both banks when the codes were telling me which side to focus on but I was chasing my tail instead of thinking logically.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok guys have a 2005 Ford F150 with 59k miles and Champion plugs (30k). everything was fine till today when it started running rough, finally threw code p0172 and p2196.
reset code and it threw p0300,p0303,p0304. Swapped coil pack number 3 to #1 positon no change in rough idle. So then swapped injector #4 with injector #1. no codes now except for p2196 and poor running idle. Unplugged injector #1 harness and makes no difference in rough idle. however when I unplug #2 injector harness the engine is worse. I suspect #4 injector is bad...I have the 11 year 120k miles ford injector letter, but am tight on money and dont want to spend a fortune. I am definetly throwing gas out the tail pipe and suspect the cat is ruined like my first failure in 2006 on injector #8. any thoughts.?????

Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by lenore
Ok guys have a 2005 Ford F150 with 59k miles and Champion plugs (30k). everything was fine till today when it started running rough, finally threw code p0172 and p2196.
reset code and it threw p0300,p0303,p0304. Swapped coil pack number 3 to #1 positon no change in rough idle. So then swapped injector #4 with injector #1. no codes now except for p2196 and poor running idle. Unplugged injector #1 harness and makes no difference in rough idle. however when I unplug #2 injector harness the engine is worse. I suspect #1 injector is bad...I have the 11 year 120k miles ford injector letter, but am tight on money and dont want to spend a fortune. I am definetly throwing gas out the tail pipe and suspect the cat is ruined like my first failure in 2006 on injector #8. any thoughts.?????
Fixed it for yah

If you unplugged an injector and it did NOT make it run worse, that injector is faulty. A good injector will drop the idle and make it misfire. Being you have an 05 that had major injector issues covered by a recall, I would take it to the dealer asap before a bad injector causes catastrophic failure.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
that is wha.t i thought too. but why didnt the codes change when i swapped the injector? I would have thought i would get a p0301...I am so confused by this...logically I think i have a bad number 3 and 4 injector, since my first codes where p0303 and p0304. the p2196 was not there on the first read. suspect the cat is fried now...now to get it to the dealership without more damage in the morning....

Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Those Champion plugs aren't helping. Yea, better let the dealership have this one. BTW,- Currently, your cats are okay.

Quick Reply: 5.4L Misfire/Hesitation Issues