Cam Phaser Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phaser Bolt

Ok, got both of the cam phasers replaced in the garage this weekend and only had one thing bugging me. That is besides all the bruising, beating and general piece of crap luck that goes along with a job like that. Holy crap..

While installing the drivers side cam phaser I was not sure I had it seated correctly on the cam shaft so I unscrewed the cam phaser bolt and made sure it was done right. I then re-installed the bolt because I had read that all you need is a new cam phaser bolt and not to re-use the old one.

I have since been educated in Torque To Yield bolts but had no idea at the time. I have not started the engine yet but have bolted the valve cover on. Should I take it apart again or will I be good to go as it is? I really don't want to do it over but I see no sense in wasting time and money if the thing will just break again.

And another thing, I broke 6 out of the 8 plugs in the head while closely following the TSB for the procedure. This is the biggest piece of crap motor I have ever heard of in my life.

Any help is appreciated...

Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Did you use the latest TSB that references carb cleaner? A lot of people are still working off the old one that references AeroKroil.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not clear if you used a new cam bolt or not but in any event its ok if you reused the original. I know some are going to freakout on that but I have reused them many times before with no issues.
Actually the broken bolts are not a big deal with the new removal tools they have developed. Again not sure if you have the broken plugs removed yet but there are a couple of tools available to remove these broken plugs that work great. The one I have and really like is the Lisle 65600 available on the web for around $75.00 plus shipping.http://denlorstools.com/ Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 11-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Appreciate the information. I ended up going back to Ford and getting a new phaser bolt, I really don't need the hassle of taking all that stuff back apart.

I did get the spark plug extractor that dynotech mentioned and am planning on getting that job done on days off.

Back to the garage. . . .

Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 PM
cam phaser bolt

has anyone had trouble getting the cam phaser bolt out? I've used even an impact drill and I can't get it to budge. I've tried every backyard jimmy rig ideas I can think of, anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Cam Phaser Bolt