Need help and advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help and advice!

So my check engine light keeps coming on and off i had the code checked and i was told its missfiring and it will shake sometimes when idling.. So im thinking of just replacing the whole thing spark plugs , cables, and coils. But does brand matter? If so what are some good ones and where is the best place to get a deal?
Thanks guys

Old 11-09-2010, 01:39 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Yes, brand matters. If you have a 4.6 with coil packs, get only Motorcraft plugs, wires, and coils. Check rockauto.com. If you have a 5.4 with COP, get Motorcraft plugs and COP's from Ebay - either Uneek Supply or Global Automotive. "DG508" is the part number you use to search for a set of COP's.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Engine ? Your motor should be displayed in liters on the throttle body cover, -if you don't know what it is. All 3 have different Ignition systems. What cylinder is missing ? I'm guess you have a V8, -Since your in the V8 forum, but who knows , -do you ? A blinking CEL definitely means misfire. If you can't remember the DTC, -Go back and get it scanned again, -take paper and pencil with you, write the code down. While your there, ask if they can tell you what engine you have, -write that down as well.

It's better all around if you can determine the cause vs throwing all those parts at it.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Sorry forgot aboutthe engine its a 99 5.4 2v and i had the code check and it is a misfire but it could a spark pulg a cop or a wire... Im thinking about getting motorcraft spark plugs and COPs from ebay i already have two but what about the wires? Can i get some cheap ones from ebay or is msd worth the money? Thanks guys

Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You don't have spark plug wires. A COP is coil on plug.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzalez0041
Sorry forgot aboutthe engine its a 99 5.4 2v and i had the code check and it is a misfire but it could a spark pulg a cop or a wire... Im thinking about getting motorcraft spark plugs and COPs from ebay i already have two but what about the wires? Can i get some cheap ones from ebay or is msd worth the money? Thanks guys
Like I said, you have to go back their and get the DTC code. A Misfire code usually has the cylinder # . That designates the problem. So that number is what you need to get first. I know it's misfiring, A blinking CEL means just that. The DTC code # informs you of what kind of miss and most likely where. (like what cylinder). Know what I mean man, - that will help us help you.

If possible, we have to figure out what and why. Otherwise, you may end up ruining any new parts your install.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Like I said, you have to go back their and get the DTC code. A Misfire code usually has the cylinder # . That designates the problem. So that number is what you need to get first. I know it's misfiring, A blinking CEL means just that. The DTC code # informs you of what kind of miss and most likely where. (like what cylinder). Know what I mean man, - that will help us help you.

If possible, we have to figure out what and why. Otherwise, you may end up ruining any new parts your install.
Whats the DTC code and where can I get it?

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by gonzalez0041
Whats the DTC code and where can I get it?
My advice to you is to take it to a mechanic you trust and have them fix it.

Quick Reply: Need help and advice!