baby needs a new everything....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baby needs a new everything....

the problem...
I've been fighting a couple of engine codes for some time, and finally broke down and took it to the stealership. Was planning on taking the truck down to California to grab a bunch of stuff from the in-laws and bring it back to WA, but looks like that may not happen.

turns out I'm losing 8% compression on 2 cylinders and 4-6% on two others, and the tranny is throwing a code (that I didn't see) as well. I was planning on keeping this truck until the wheels fell off of it, but according to the guy at Ford Service, the problems that I was having (reduced power, fuel economy and occasional sputtering) are going to continue until she gets a new engine, and that I might as well replace the trans while I'm in there as he says the torque converter is going too...

so im guessing that I am looking about $5K-$8K worth of work on a 2002 SCREW,, 4.6L auto with tow package...

questions are, what SHOULD this cost me to have done?

how much more would it be to replace the 4.6 with a 5.4?

How much of an PITA would the engine swap be (4.6 to 5.4) as in labor cost wise...I am SO not doing this myself...?

OH...and WHY ME???

thanks in advance.

dK

Last edited by Dan K; 09-22-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
might as well do a 5.4 or 6.8 swap and for 8 grand it better be made of solid billet with a supercharger on top

Old 09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few months ago I price a new 4.6 for my 97. Installed and out the door for 6k.

So yes you are looking at 8 to 9k. For the job. Look at it this way. You will have a new truck with a 3 year warranty on it and it is already set up the way you like(hopefully).

Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cetansapa
A few months ago I price a new 4.6 for my 97. Installed and out the door for 6k.

So yes you are looking at 8 to 9k. For the job. Look at it this way. You will have a new truck with a 3 year warranty on it and it is already set up the way you like(hopefully).
I'm trying to figure how the 90% of the truck that's 8 or 9 years old suddenly became "New" when he puts a "remanufactured" (read rebuilt) engine (Ford doesn't sell "New" engines (or transmissions)).

Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How many miles are on this truck? Modulars that are taken care of usually last for along time.. Might be your best move is selling it or trading it in at this point if your not a guy who likes the big projects and would have to pay someone. I think in that case your best option is getting a newer better truck.

Quick Reply: baby needs a new everything....