Has any one experienced this??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has any one experienced this??

Hi I am a new owner of a 2003 F150 XLT supercab short bed truck with about 112,000 miles on it. Everything has been solid on the truck until last night. The first thing i noticed was that the abs dash light came on. Just afterward things got weird. When I looked at the volt meter on the dash it was not registering, the radio was sort of intermittent in working and the head lights started to dim. Other non-essential stuff like the outside temp and compass started blinking and the lights eventually dimmed until they no longer were noticeable while driving. This happened during a trip that totaled about 5 miles. I was able to make it home and turn it off. The next morning I started it up and drove 5 miles and everything ran and looked fine on the gauges. The previous owner replaced the alternator and battery less than a thousand miles ago. I was thinking that it was a bad dream but when I started the engine that next day it turned over slower telling me that the battery got a work out last night and had not recovered.

Has anyone else experienced this?
When an alternator goes on a rig with this much electronics on it does it freak out like mine did?
Any help would be great as I am very intimidated by electronic problems.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:06 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would get the battery and alternator tested.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 AM
I agree with GLC, sounds like an alternator issue to me, or you might check your grounds.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Elec Issues

Definitely get the alternator tested out. Had a very similar scenerio on my 97 and it turned out to be the alternator. I've also had 2 rebuilt alternators go bad in just a couple of thousand miles so don't rule out the alternator just because it was previously replaced. If that doesn't prove to be it, then start checking the wiring for corrosion or shorts.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I had a similar experience with my 00 GT. It was the alternator.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Check your under dash gem module and or fuse panel. I have seen a few of them corroded from water intrusion due to leaky windshields.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. The present verdict is that one of the wire connections to the alternator was loose and breaking the electrical connection. I have not been able to confirm yet, but it seems reasonable. If this doesn't fix it. I will definitely check under the dash. Thanks again fellas. -A-

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks Tyson's Lariat

I appreciate the similar story Tyson's lariat. And I used to live in MD for 30 years and I agree 270 is not place to be doing anywhere close to the speed limit. I don't miss that jungle at all. How many lanes wide is that highway now anyway?? I used to have to drive from Mt Airy into Potomac regularly.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Four lanes at Frederick. Pick up another two lanes at Clarksburg. Two more lanes at Germantown makes eight. Then at Shady Grove pick up four local lanes for a total of twelve feeding into the Beltway. The traffic here is second only to LA.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Alternator. Yea, these engines only seem to like Motorcraft alternators. Also, if you do an exchange (not recommended) ,- make sure you get one with the proper amps back. I've heard of people getting screwed there. I would order a Motorcraft online myself.

BTW- Don't leave your keys in the truck while your having problems... - The doors may lock on yuh. I've personally seen that happen lol.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
glc
I had an alternator done at the Ford dealer a couple months ago. The Motorcraft alternators were backordered so they put an O'Reilly reman in - no problems yet.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by glc
I had an alternator done at the Ford dealer a couple months ago. The Motorcraft alternators were backordered so they put an O'Reilly reman in - no problems yet.
That's good to know because there has been so many problems with remans. I can't trust them. You can purchase a Motorcraft 3G 130 AMP online for just under a $100. I'm still running my Original Alternator in my 98 lol.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
glc
The dealer told me that in Joplin, O'Reilly has the only remans they trust. They won't touch Autozone or Napa. I like these guys - they have no problem using non-Ford parts that they trust to save you money too. They won't use crap they don't trust because it causes warranty hassles - remember, all customer-paid repairs done at a Ford dealer are guaranteed for 12/12 and they have to eat the labor.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM

Yea, I have to say I like O'Riely's/Murrays is one of the best. That's where I've had to pick up a couple starters for the truck. Not because it went bad, - Bosch starters don't go bad do they? Well, I have yet to see one anyway. The solenoid stud breaks off from corrosion + 1/2 turn w/10mm wrench. When I break a Bosch starter, I just take it up to ORiely's and they hand me a new one in the box. That's cool because their not cheap.

Plus, their O2 sensors. They carry Motorcraft parts as well. So for O2's, you get a choice, -Motorcraft or Bosch with three different harness lengths,- in stock.

Same with coils, - if you want Motorcraft, but you'll pay out the wazoo for em lol.

So that's one of my favorite parts suppliers, - that and Carquest, - they let me use their machine shop

Quick Reply: Has any one experienced this??