does anyone else have these problemS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry does anyone else have these problemS

i have a 2004 f140 fx4 4x4 with 92k miles i bought it used at 70k so i dont know what happened before then about 10k miles ago the truck started acting up while in 4low it would die out and sputter when just idling it had stopped and havent had the prob since but the it started making a rasppy noise while driving at any speed when the rpms would level out at you desired speed i thought it to be fuel but does it with 83-91 octane so i changed plugs and the plugs didn't help nor did it seem to give any noticable performance now its been 2 months and now i have 3 more awful noises 1 sounds like power stering pump running low on fluid and whining but is full of fluid and does not change sound while turning just is constant with rpms. 2 sounds like a deisel lifters are out of adjustment but has quieted down a little bit. 3 sounds like all 4 brake pads are gone and rubbing on the rotors but not the brakes it only occurs when i am accelerating or when rpms level out the noise stops when i completly let of gas, shift into nuetral, or speed up quickly it does not make the noise all the time but about 85% of the time i have looked everywhere but i cant find nothing rubbing loose i am just a poor boy so i cant go drop a but load of money to have some guy tell me that theres nothing they can find just woundering if someone out there has at least one of these problems and could help trouble shoot i have exp in auto repair but i am stumped ive tried everything i know except a complete rebuild because this is my only vehical any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long post
btw i am using 10w 30 castrol high mil oil and usually 87 octane fuel every filter has been replace and the plugs all stock k&n filter not cold air trans and difs have not been changed yet

Old 03-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your engine is suposed to have 5-20 period. The cam phasers are extremly sensitive to what oil you use. There expensive to repair and from what your describing that your deal. Start off by putting the right oil and use ONLY motorcraft or BETTER filters NO fram.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your vacuum hose to the 4X4 . It should be on the R side (may be on the R inner fender). There has been a fair amount of problem in that area and it's either the hose or the control. That's why it changes under acceleration and no throttle, because it's vacuum related. It's trying to go into gear (4X4) and is just grinding rather than going in.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by big brian
btw i am using 10w 30 castrol high mil oil and usually 87 octane fuel every filter has been replace and the plugs all stock k&n filter not cold air trans and difs have not been changed yet
What engine ? Do you know ?, Doesn't matter, it's probably trashed or getting there. These engines run 5w 20. You'll starve engine nternals running 10w You need a manual or to actually read the stickers under the hood lol.

Anyway, -motorcraft .com has manuals you can download. Might wanna get one.

Good Luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM
thanks for the addvice i didnt know that the oil vis was that critical i dont have manual and the retard before ripped off stickers under the hood i dont know why but they are gone btw the engine is a 5.4 i had a 2001 f150 with a 4.6 never had any off these problems and i am sure missing it

Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by code58
Check your vacuum hose to the 4X4 . It should be on the R side (may be on the R inner fender). There has been a fair amount of problem in that area and it's either the hose or the control. That's why it changes under acceleration and no throttle, because it's vacuum related. It's trying to go into gear (4X4) and is just grinding rather than going in.
okay so i checked the deal on firewall right side it is a little smaller than a film canister there is 2 vacume hoses and a wire conected to it i disconnected the wire and it quit making the grinding sound would it be an electrical issue some where else or a vacuum problem i tried fallowing the vacuum lines but they seem to be all connected thx for your help by the way

Quick Reply: does anyone else have these problemS