Can faulty door switch cause starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can faulty door switch cause starting problem?

Hi,

I have an intermittent starting problem on my '97 F-150, 4.6L, 235k miles. At times you turn the key, all you get is a single click. Sometimes opening and closing the door seems to help - you open the door, and it seems the electrical system gets its juice back, and it will turn over.

Took battery to Autozone, they said it was dead, replaced that, same problem. Took it to mechanic twice, he replaced cable ends, then wiring going down to the starter.

Took it to Ford, they diagnosed it as corroded wiring on solenoid/starter, replaced that. Picked it up at ford tonight, would not start, same old thing.

I'm curious if a new door switch would help - a guy at ford claimed that opening and closing the door might vibrate the spaded connection on the starter, but that doesnt seem right. Id like to replace the door switch anyway, cabin light stays on and ive hosed the door latch with WD-40 repeatedly. I have a door switch but im clueless as to how to replace it, and no one has been willing to do it for me.

Also, the problem seems to happen when weather is below freezing. Any thoughts, before i empty my bank account trying everything?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
im guessing if you aren't from the south near me if you are talking about freezing weather.

Door latch is pretty simple, yank the door panel off, exterior door handle, then the window regulator bolt nearest to the latch comes off, then the actuator rods unclipped, then the actuator lifts up after being released IIRC

have you replaced the big relay on the firewall yet? the one with the two wires going into it.

what about ignition switch?

try moving the column up and down before you try the door and see if that makes it any better. If so i'd look at doing ignition switch, and checking for a broken or partially broken wire in the column

Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I'll say bad ignition switch it is after all what sends the signal to turn the car

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the responses. It may be the ignition switch - the guy tonight turned it three or four times, then out of the blue, it started.

I had a Ford Ranger that had kindof similar symptoms that turned out to be the relay.

I left the truck at the dealer, im better prepared to discuss it with Ford in the a.m.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 AM
I had this problem when I originally got my truck 2 years ago. Turned out to be a failing starter solenoid. It's a big round thing on the firewall behind/above the battery on the passenger side. When it won't start try shorting the two large bolts on the starter solenoid with a screw driver or similar. Whenever mine wouldn't start from turning the key, it would do it no problem by shorting the two posts on the solenoid. That's how I ended up realising that was my problem. I replaced that and it never had trouble starting again.

As you have already replaced all the wiring for the battery and starter, the only things left are that solenoid, and the ignition switch.

Also, the door switch wouldn't have anything at all to do with it starting, unless it was running down your battery. A weak battery will make it slow to start or not start at all.

Good luck,

- Erik

Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, truck has been at dealer again all day. They were able to get it started again this morning, and then "it started 100 times in a row in the shop." Now its sitting outside, they wanted to see if getting cold caused it to not start. I'm afraid i'll pick it up tonight and be no closer to getting it fixed.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Got the truck fixed today. They repaired the solenoid that was on the starter.

In a warm shop, the truck started 20 times, so they took it out in the cold, let it set, and were able to duplicate the starting symptoms i had described. Apparently the cold was a contributing factor, contraction/expansion causing the worn solenoid to not work properly.

It was a shop that specializes in electrical problems, repairing starters and alternators. Could have saved a few $ if i had taken it there first.

Quick Reply: Can faulty door switch cause starting problem?