Blue smoke (08 FX4)...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue smoke (08 FX4)...

Well the lease is up for my truck and I'm buying it come Saturday (08 FX4 – 20K miles) but last week I noticed a problem. When the truck has been sitting for more than one day and I start it I get a puff of blue smoke. I noticed it when I remote started it the other morning.

Now will Ford warranty this or since it doesn’t burn a certain amount of oil will I get the "nothing wrong with vehicle"? This is not normal at all and with 20K miles it seems odd. I’ve had a couple warranty items but nothing major at all, just hope I’m not making a mistake on buying it. Anyone else having this issue with such low mileage? I change the oil religiously at 3K with 5W20 Motorcraft oil and filter. Just wondering what kind of response I'll get at the dealer.
John

Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they should do something since its still under warranty. only thing is, they will have to see that it is burning oil, IE show them it burns it. very strange for 20k miles. mine has 145k and doesnt burn any.

bottom line, you will probably get harassed at the dealership as does everyone

Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tell the dealer you want to purchase the truck but will not deal until it is fixed. Then make them prove that they solved the problem. There are a lot of trucks on the lots and new ones being built everyday. DO NOT DEAL UNTIL IT'S FIXED. They will want you to buy then bring it back in for service. Remember you are in the drivers seat and play hardball with that leverage. I always weighed the cost of purchasing a lease return versus a new vehicle. The interest rate is usually higher on a used versus a new vehicle. Sometimes when the new vehicle incentives and lower rate is factored its better to just get the new vehicle. Just my thoughts and experience. Good luck

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 11-12-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like valve stem seals. Im sure they will fix it for you. They can have it fixed in a day.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by used2vtec
sounds like valve stem seals. Im sure they will fix it for you. They can have it fixed in a day.
Ya, I agree sounds like a valve seal. They should fix it with no problems but I always prepare for worst case because I've seen way to many times how this senario plays out. Take care.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They probably won't deal with you. They will just sell it to someone who doesn't notice it. Look for another truck.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
They probably won't deal with you. They will just sell it to someone who doesn't notice it. Look for another truck.
haha, sad but true it wind up being me since im lookin for a (that body style) fx4

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Ford does not consider oil consumption to be excessive unless it's burning more than a quart in 1000 miles, all manufacturers have similar policies. I highly doubt that it's burning that much. Let it go and lease a new one.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Let it go and lease or buy another one... this does not sound like a problem to mess with.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:51 PM
John- Obviously I can't speak for the dealer but I don't think the average dealer will be inclined to think much about it. My '02 would do that about every 5th time I would start it from about 12-14k mi. on. and I agree, normally that would be valve seals (doesn't have to be ALL, maybe just one) I am meticulous about care on my vehicles. Always use Castrol (MC in the '04) and change at 3k mi and always have used OEM filters on everything. I didn't like it because I'm fussy, but I never took it in because 1. I knew they probably would blow it off and 2. I worked in automotive all my life and would rather not have some of the monkeys that pass for mechanics messing with my vehicle unless I have no choice.
(blown engine, etc.) No offense to those mechanics who are true professionals, my hat's off to you! It never used any oil at all and only did it now and then. If you have really taken care of the truck and really like it, I personally would see what they say, and if they blow you off as it being not that unusual, I would definitely say buy it. I have read many times before on the Ford truck forums about the exact same thing and have not yet read of one who said it was burning oil. It probably will never cause any oil consumption at all until ALL the seals are leaking AND the VALVE guides are GETTING worn. If I was a betting man, it will never be a problem unless you are bothered by that little puff of smoke and it is doing it ALL the time and a whole lot more than it is now. Not likely to happen!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 AM
get rid of it and find a new one

Quick Reply: Blue smoke (08 FX4)...