strange noise when accelerating over 45mph??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might have been mistaken..might be 5w -20. I'll change the oil when I get home today and see if it makes any difference. thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RI04F150
Too bad I have a full custom exhaust from the headers down..no warranty for me..As for the oil 5w-40 and like I said its overdue so maybe thats it.

No heat shield, already ripped both off in the past and I banged all over the exhaust with no rattling..so ruling that out.

Totally baffled, and this started right after my serp belt was replaced and the muffler was replaced..bringing it in tommorrow to the last guy who worked on it. PIA!

Thanks for all the attempts at diagnosing this, nice to be able to bounce these things off other people before getting "raked over the coals" at the mech shop..
Yea, I would say that rules that out lol. I ended up doing the same thing - Ripped the whole exhaust off and rebuilt it - from the LT's back and welded EVERYTHING SOLID lol. Made custom flanged cats to fit over the headers and made it one piece - Even wrapped them

Yea, you don't want to screw around with the viscosity to much and the oil filters on these engines, this HAS proven detrimentle in the past. Once damage is done , it can't be reversed, - IF there is indeed damage at this point.

Sticking with the recommended is best all around.

But yea, other than that - Idunno.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
mech tells me that its a plastic piece that isloose on my step bar..didn't really buy it but had no choice. Took it home and secured the loose plastic piece..guess what? noise is still there.

This is definetely coming from under my truck/engine. Anyway this could be from my transmission? I checked fluid and the level is good, however I did notice moisture on the underside of the tranny and a small drip..

Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I just had this done on mine. Weird thing is, it was the pinion bearing in the rear end. When I was able to get the sound going, I would stick my head in the back seat (06 Supercrew, 3.55LS diff) and I could def. hear it a lot better. Bad thing is, it is $700-1000 to fix. Mine was under warranty, the second time in and they said the first dealer tourqed down somthing too tight. (thg first time was for clutch packs at 16k)

Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Cool had same problem on my 2009 fx4

My truck exact same issue. The fix was the actuator on the 4x4 went bad and/ or the vacuum line had a crack in it. I replaced everything so I couldn't pin point it. I had a mechanic explain that the vacuum pressure drops at 45 and the hubs weren't all the way disengaged causing the noise.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Do

Originally Posted by RI04F150
I have been getting a rattling/metal clanging noise (excuse the weak description) when I am accelerating over 45mph. when I let off the gas, the noise stops. This started last week as very intermitent and now is very regular
I currently need new u-joints but I am not sure if this is associated with it. No vibration either, just a rattling/clanging noise..any ideas?
I have exactly the same issue. Sounds like two washers hitting each other. Did you find out what was the issue?

Old 01-02-2019, 11:50 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
As you can tell from reading the whole thread, it could be one of many things. The original poster hasn't checked back in almost 10 years.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by glc
As you can tell from reading the whole thread, it could be one of many things. The original poster hasn't checked back in almost 10 years.
Yeah, trying to test my luck in this one. Thanks, man!

Quick Reply: strange noise when accelerating over 45mph??