5.4 run rough at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 run rough at idle

Hi Guys. I have a problem with a 99 f150 w 5.4. I will drive a 10 mile or so distance and shut off the motor. Ten minutes later I turn the key and the truck starts up but runs rough, like its running out of gas. I shut it off and restart it and it runs great. This just started today and it did this about 5 times. I have 118K on it and all maintenance is up to date inc plugs. Turning off the ignition and restarting always fixes the problem. What do you guys think? (Warm weather where I am at) thanks Mike

Old 01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
It seems this problem is related to turning the ignition off and then restarting and the problem goes away. Do you think it is fuel pump related or somewhere in the ignition switch?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you say all the maintenance is up to date does that mean you have replaced the fuel filter in the last 15k? Have you ever cleaned the throttle body and IAC or just replaced it? If you havent done those things thats were I would start.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey Jethat, thanks for the comeback...... yeah the fuel filter has been changed. I just cleaned the MAF and the throttle body looks dirty so I`ll clean it. Should I remove the vertical piece of the TB or the whole housing that connects to the horizontal surface of the intake?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Hey Jethat, thanks for the comeback...... yeah the fuel filter has been changed. I just cleaned the MAF and the throttle body looks dirty so I`ll clean it. Should I remove the vertical piece of the TB or the whole housing that connects to the horizontal surface of the intake?
Take the whole thing off of the manifold. Harbor freight has brass pipe cleaning brushes that work well for the job. couple or 3 cans of throttle body cleaner and me I just replace that IAC on the back of the throttle body with the one you can get at autozone for $47.

Quick Reply: 5.4 run rough at idle