Marvel Mystery Oil aids in 5.4 3v plug change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil aids in 5.4 3v plug change?

I was scanning other Ford-Truck Web sites, & a dude was claiming that he ran Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel system for a month prior to a plug change on a 2005 5.4 3v engine! He claims that all of the plugs came out with just a turn of the ratchet, with ease.Claims No TSB performed! What do you guys think? He claims that the Marvel Mystery Oil cleans out carbon buildup very well?........

Old 01-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very interested to know this as well
I hope it truly does work because I am deathly terrified of having to change my plugs this spring.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think he's FOS.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got to agree with Qunitin, but I'd run K-Y Jelly in mine for a year if it actually helped get those bad boys out. I'm experimenting with running Techron fuel additive in every tank for the next few months. Then I'll see if I can find some brave tech to try my plugs.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't know what is in MMO but a lot of that additive stuff is just diesel oil. Now, if the stuff really does clean the plugs off with one tank of additive, I have a little bit of a problem putting anything through my engine that is capable of doing that. Does it not scour off the cylider walls and would that not cause oil consumption. I do not know the answers, just cautious.

On a side note, another member PMed me last week and asked about the dealer that successfully changed my plugs at 65,500 miles. He took his truck to them and they got his changed in 2 1/2 hours with none breaking. He had 133,000 miles on them and says his truck runs like it did when new. The dealer apparently has one guy that specializes in the plug removal. I have asked the member to post a thread with the details, hope he does.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MMO is the best injecter cleaner you can buy!
I was going through some old tools, and found an old old set on ratchete wrenches. They were so bad even I almost through them out.
But instead I put them in MMO for a week. Took them out and wiped them down, and discovered they were snap on. So I put them back in for another week, and use them to this day.

Yes it can help the spark plug issue.
I used in in model airplaining for years.
I have been told it will also act like sta-bill, but I'm not sure on that one.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can anyone really claim something helps with the plug change? some people get lucky without a single thing while others dont. did the guy say if it was the first tune up for the truck? if not then the tsb's could have been used the first time. you never know without the whole story.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil is a mostly pale oil base meaning it's a light 20 visc. oil. The additives as shown in spectroscopy aren't much. That's not to say there isn't anything else there, just doesn't show up in analysis. If you run it as an injector cleaner in an ULSD diesel, expect damage to be done to the engine from sulfurs in the mix. The same sulfurs will be in your gas engine only the combustion process will turn some of it into sulfuric acid. Your oils base (mostly calcium) should handle the extra acids but it's not something I would use on a regular basis. The best injector cleaners and carbon removers are Stoddard Solvent based. This is the base for Techron and BG-44 cleaners. And here's another issue, what about the cats? We already know cat life is short with an engine that burns oil. So you add oil (MMO) to the gas and not expect shorter cat life? Use at your own risk but I'd use some of the proven cleaners/ carbon removers that are cat friendly before trying something that right off says it will damage an expensive piece of emissions equipment.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its slightly off topic, but I have ran mmo in my small gas engines and my motorcycle for years with out problems for its upper cylinder lubricant properties and it keeps the carbs really clean. I did run some through my truck for 2 tanks just to see what would happen and my milage shot up by 2-3 mpg. When I calculated what it cost for the amount specified though it wasn't worth the cost for the milage gained. Plus I wasn't sure if it would damage the cats over time. I imagine with its cleaning properties it may clean enough of the gunk off the plugs to make changes easier.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I run MMO in the airplane occasionally to help the valve train and it will boost my compression a bit right before I do the annual. All the "old" mechanics swear by it but can't officially recomend it for airplanes. It works for me. Then again, no smog to worry about.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quintin
I think he's FOS.
That'a awesome Quintin, straight to the point.
You got a good laugh from me. Well Done.

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil aids in 5.4 3v plug change?