Seized? or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seized? or not?

manually cranking reults in partial rotation of motor.
2003 4.6L v8 triton 4x4, I boutght the truck at an auction as a water damage, and i'm trying a rebuild/restoration. The truck itself is in very good condition, but i am have a time trying to turn the engine manually. I get rotation to a certain point then it is jams, rotate back the other way for a bit and jams again. On starting with the starter (all plugs out) she rolled over for a few bumps of the ignition (a good bit of water shot out the cylinders). I wanted to get a few good turns manually before damaging something. I was thinking about removing the serpentine belt to possibly eliminate any other accessory pulley causing the hangup. I really dont want to go the bone yard engine route if i can have this engine rebuilt. Any professional advice or tried and proven experiences to share are appreciated. I also drained all fluids that were contaminated with water (fuel, rear, trans, motor oil).

Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One possibility is that one or more valves are rusted tight in the open position. You go so far and a piston hits the valve and cant go any farther. Now if only one valve was rusted in the open position, you could go nearly a full turn each way. The idea of a valve(s) being rusted tight in the open position would make sense with the cylinders having water in them. This is assuming the 4.6 is an interference engine.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:16 AM
sounds like it was hydrolocked. does it turn over easier now that all the water shot out? id fill it with fresh oil and fire it up. any damage has already been done. but thats just me....

Old 12-30-2008, 02:32 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Boneyard or Jasper time..................

Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I would take the belt off and try.About 2 months ago I stopped at the local store, came out started truck and it quit.It acted like a dead battery.Tried jumping it and still nothing.Had it towed to a local shop, they call me and say the motor is junk.Say it was low 2 qts oil.I said the motor did not make any noise.I said check the ac pump out as that was making some noise.He took the belt off and sure as hell the motor started right up.The clutch beaing went out and siezed it up, $200 for ac clutch and running strong.Also check the Alt or air pump as they will cause the same thing.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
if the motor had water in the cylinder's and you tryed to crank it or was running and sucked water in, it more than likely hydra locked. in that case it probably has a bent rod or two. you can't compress water.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
i released the serpentine, and still very difficult to even budge. are there bearings in the crank pulley that could possibly seize? how difficult a job is it to replace the connection rods?

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by easyrydaddw
i released the serpentine, and still very difficult to even budge. are there bearings in the crank pulley that could possibly seize? how difficult a job is it to replace the connection rods?
I would say that the engine if F.U.B.A.R.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
how difficult a job is it to replace the connection rods?
Not bad at all,,,,,just need to totally disassemble the motor and rebuild it..

First thing you should try is taking off the valve covers and check all the valves. But it dosent sound good,,might be toast.

Phil

Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I wouldnt rebuild it. I would go find my self a wrecked Lightning or SC Harlery edition and put that motor into it.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:53 PM
If the water is out of the cylinders, squirt some marvle mystery oil in each one,
let it sit for a few days. Then take the plugs out and try to hand crank again.
It will still be toast, but you'll know why.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
how much resistance can you expect when turning the engine manually?

Old 01-01-2009, 04:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long was the water in the engine before you bought it? Water rusts a cylinder really fast and can seize it up quicker than you think. I have seen a cylinder with water in it for say a month really make a mess of it.
I wouldn't even think of trying to turn it over by hand or starter without flooding the cylinders with something like Marvel Mystery oil or trans. fluid (and obviously then with the plugs out)

Last edited by code58; 01-01-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
not sure how long it was sitting. but i know it took about 4 weeks for the truck to get to me from the auction site. the inside is totally dry and very clean, no evidence of water at all. all fuses are clean in the panel, there is a water line in the ashtray and arm rest cup holders and compartment. kinda confusing to me how water in some places and not in others. i would say the truck has been sitting for a few months. i'll give it another try after soaking with marvel mystery. the engine did roll and spew when i tried just before christmas.

1. how much resistance should you expect from a non seized engine manually cranking?

2. anyone have any heads up on a 4.6L Windsor in south florida?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be able to turn an engine with no plugs in it pretty easily.. I've found lots of parts here.. http://car-part.com/ If it were me I would try to find a complete totaled doner truck. You could end up needing allot of stuff. Flood cars and trucks are scary. Hope you got a really good deal.

Quick Reply: Seized? or not?