5.4L 3V Owners: Check your Champion 7989 Replacment Plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
We have been hoping that these particular Champion plugs were the answer to the seizing and breaking issues in the 3V - results so far have generally been okay. This is the first real problem I've heard about other than a question of the proper gap. Champions are not total garbage or they would no longer be in business.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
We have been hoping that these particular Champion plugs were the answer to the seizing and breaking issues in the 3V - results so far have generally been okay. This is the first real problem I've heard about other than a question of the proper gap. Champions are not total garbage or they would no longer be in business.
Chrysler still uses them. Only they're gapped at 0.035". Last time Ford used that gap was in the 70s. Champions will not hold up to the extreme heat induced with a 0.054" gap that Fords need these days. Keep the Champions for the weedeaters and chainsaws...That's why they are still in business now.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
glc
These particular Champions are one piece, and are full platinum. They aren't just chainsaw plugs.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I agree 100%, glc. I've seen the Champion brand as long as I've been driving (a long time). It makes no sense at all that their construction would cause that kind of damage.

Think about it. A spark plug's design is super simple - NO moving parts! What the heck can possibly go wrong?

Well, a few things:
If it doesn't conduct heat properly, it can run too hot or too cold, and, if too hot, it will cause preignition and will probably wear down quickly. If too cold, it will become fouled with deposits.

If the materials it is made of are substandard, it will probably wear out prematurely.

If it has a "two-piece" design, it might sort of "come apart", right when you don't want it to (like the Motorcraft plug).

I suppose the composition of the porcelain insulator could be substandard, which would allow it to crack easily - which would render it unusable
But, Champions HAVE been used in race cars and they've worked fine. Somehow, I can't believe that Champion can't design a plug that will work in a Ford. Is there something "secret" about Ford engines?

- Jack

Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There was a picture posted of a Champion I think where the end of the plug had broken off and took out a valve. This was a few months ago.

Correction: It was a Bosch plug, not a Champion.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/en...gs-can-do.html

Last edited by Bluejay; 12-30-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
There was a picture posted of a Champion I think where the end of the plug had broken off and took out a valve. This was a few months ago.

Correction: It was a Bosch plug, not a Champion.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/en...gs-can-do.html
I remembered that post too, Jim. But, what does it mean?

Can we only use Bosch plugs in German cars?

Do we only put the Denso plugs in the cars that come from Japan?

And, since we seem to have a plethora of "American plugs" (whatever that means in this Global economy) are these things only good for individual Big 3 brands? What cars are Autolite's good for? Are ACDelco the only thing you can use in a GM product? What the heck does a Chrysler use? We know, of course, where Motorcraft plugs are used, but, where do you stick a Champion - where the sun don't shine?

I'm having a real problem here. The technology is super simple. A "generic" plug should perform just as well as the "trademarked" brand, if it's made and graded properly. It's not "rocket science", is it?

- Jack

Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Doesn't look like a plug failure. That cylinder has a condition that did that. Timing? Fuel injector problem?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I remembered that post too, Jim. But, what does it mean?

Can we only use Bosch plugs in German cars?

Do we only put the Denso plugs in the cars that come from Japan?

And, since we seem to have a plethora of "American plugs" (whatever that means in this Global economy) are these things only good for individual Big 3 brands? What cars are Autolite's good for? Are ACDelco the only thing you can use in a GM product? What the heck does a Chrysler use? We know, of course, where Motorcraft plugs are used, but, where do you stick a Champion - where the sun don't shine?

I'm having a real problem here. The technology is super simple. A "generic" plug should perform just as well as the "trademarked" brand, if it's made and graded properly. It's not "rocket science", is it?

- Jack
I understand your frustration.. but for what ever reason, Champion plugs have never worked well in Ford engines. Beats me why, but that is always been the case since I got interested in cars in the 1960's.

OP... do you have any mods done to your truck? Like a cold air intake? Or is it 100% stock?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
glc
Hell, I put a set of Bosch Platinums in a 81 BMW 320i and they were garbage. I had to pull them after 1 month and put the copper NGK's that were in it back in. With very few exceptions, you cannot go wrong with the OEM plugs in any engine from any manufacturer. The 3V 5.4 is a unique situation due to the sticking and breaking issues. The OEM Motorcrafts will work well, but can cause problems trying to get them back out. I also understand that the 5.4 3V works well with Autolite 2 piece plugs, unlike a lot of the 2v engines that run like crap on Autolites.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Never use champions...we used to call cars out as having the "Champion Syndrome".

Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 PM
my 2004 neon came from factory with champion plugs. I just finished swapping them out for autolites. The factory gap on those was suppose to be .35 but all the electrodes on the champions had burnt down to a .65 gap! The engine has 81k on it but that still seams like excessive deterioration. I've heard it from old mechanics and several forums from mustangs to neons those plugs are just garbage!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
i work at a parts house. we carry motorcraft, autolites,boush,ngk, and champions. if anyone wants to know if champion is a good plug you ought to see how many returns we get on champions and what the plugs look like after one month of use. autolites are prob one of the best all around plug you can get.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Did he change his COPs?
Well crap! I just swapped out my OEM Ford plugs for the Champion 7989 and it runs great (17 mpg @ 65mph). I have 200,000 miles on my 2005 5.4 and only 6,000 miles on the new plugs. Should I pull them?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I hated champions as in my snowmobiles they were always pure cr@p. NGKs would outperform them 10,000%. Yes 10,000%. I have the one piece Champions in my truck nearing a year now and idle still seems a touch rough to me, but othrwise all good. I wish someone else woudl make a good one piece plug so I could trash the champions if for no other reason, for the principal of it.

Given how many 3v 5.4's have been sold, you'd think someone else would see this opportunity??????

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I to tried the champion 1 piece plugs in my truck this early summer. I think I posted on here before. But about a month ago I started to get a misfire. So thinking it was the fuel injector sticking since I have a 05 I took into the dealer. I turned out to just be the Champion plug. One side of the plug was white and the other side was dark. Kind of odd but they replaced that plug and all is well now. I didn’t have them change the rest out because I was debating on trading the truck in. I have since decided to keep the truck so now I need to get the rest of the Champions out. This was less than 10,000 miles on this plug what a disappointment and waste of money.

I was the first person at this dealer to try the champion plug....the dealer never even heard of this plug until I showed it to them. The techs agreed that it was a much better design than the OEM plug but were leery because it was a Champion. Saying that champions usually don't run well in Fords. So I figure in the near future I'll take the truck in and get the other 7 replaced with Motorcrafts.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V Owners: Check your Champion 7989 Replacment Plugs!