Very rough idle on a 97 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very rough idle on a 97 4.2

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I think this is a great forum for ford truck owner's. I have a problem that I just can't figure out.

I have a 1997 F-150 xl 4.2

I have very very rough idle. It has 360,000 miles on it ( I rebuilt the motor at about 310,000 miles). I replaced the pistons,timing chain,lifters the whole works. I've kept up the maintence on the truck. The problem now is the idle. When it is cold it'll take me 20 minutes of starting and pumping the gas to get it to idle on it's own. Then after that it will idle but very rough with no power ( I have to hold the gas peddle to the floor just to get it moving and then it will slowly build speed but run rough).

Let's go back a little in time here. I had true duels installed when I bought the truck in 97 from the cats back. About 6 months ago it started running a little rough (but drivable). It would shake so much sometimes that it eventually broke my exhaust apart from my cats. I took it in to the muffler shop and had them remove all the cats (4 of them thinking my miss was from plugged cats). Had them run the duels back with no cats.

I still have the miss!!!

I have codes that say excessive egr flow,bank 1 and bank 6 missfiring , and of course the cat codes.

I have replaced the plugs,wires,coil pack.

I have replaced the EGR,DPFE,PCV and the egr regulator.

I have replaced the Trans sensor (because I don't have back up light's either)
and yes all the fuses and bulbs are good.

I replaced the IAT sensor and after reading a post here cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body.

I'm lost on what it could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your intake seals, that year 4.2 was known for them to leak. the cat code was most likely because you have no cats. the egr excessive flow is normally the DPFE or the hoses going to it. when you changed it out did you use a motorcraft DPFE?

Quick Reply: Very rough idle on a 97 4.2