4.2L v6 harmonic ballancer questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L v6 harmonic ballancer questions

Hello
I am new to the site but have had my 98 f150 for 10 years. I now have a problem with the harmonic ballancer and drive pully. Could not get the broken bolts out of the balancer and now it needs replaced. same with the pully that bolts to it. Here are my questions.

1. anyone know where I can get a harmonic ballancer for a 98 v6 f150 4.2liter? I have tried the local parts stores and every site I could find online and it seems they are only available for the v-8's

2. I did find a balancer and pully on ebay for a 2000 f150 4.2liter v6. The pully looks different but looks like it may be same size different design. The balancer looks the same and same engine speed sensor. Anyone know if it will work on a 98 or know how to find out?
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the Ford dealership!

Check with the service/parts department at your local Ford dealership for the harmonic balancer.

The front main seal on my 1999 4.2L blew out and to replace the seal I had to remove the harmonic balancer and crank pulley for access. Only one bolt held the harmonic balancer and pulley in place. The bolt went directly into the crank.

Worst come to worst(?ford doesn't have this part anymore?), try to find a similar truck(same year, same engine) in a junk yard for parts, but check the dealership first and foremost.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to ford dealer today.
I can get one for $450 if I wait 3 weeks or I can get one by air for $637 in 2-3days.
I also went to a couple scrap yards and found one. Asking price $150 I got them to agree to $100 if I pulled it myself or $125 if they pulled it. I was going to come back tommorrow with tools but my buddy talked me into paying them to pull it and waiting 15-20min.(engine is out of truck) I paid the $125 and wandered around the yard.
So, 10min later they ask if they can borrow my tools! They dont have puller and were trying to hammer it off. I stopped them went back to my shop and got some tools and pulled it myself. Did not bother to ask for discount.
Installed and working but...........Doner engine had oil leak from the seal and this harmonic balancer has a groove in the outside so I suspect I will be leaking oil now.

Next question is does anyone know if you are supposed to put some RTV in the keyway grove? Both HB's had sealant in the keyway groove.

Also I put medium locktite in the pully bolts. My entire problem stemmed from a couple of the pully bolts comeing loose and out and the others breaking off about 2 years ago(3 months after head gasket replacement for hydrolic lock) I replaced them with NAPA "grade 8" bolts(red). They broke off on wed.(looked like one had broken a while back) My analsis is maybe the bolts should have had some locktite after the headgasket job & the NAPA bolts were probably not up too the job. Does this make sense or have I just caused myself future greif if I have to pull it apart (or worse yet the damn pully breaks the bolts off again.)

Cheers and thanks to the guy who took the time to post on this thread.

PS I was planning on posting simular thread on v6f15o as I found it while searching for info. But they have decided "Dear maninthesea, Unfortunately your registration at V6F150.com did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted. Sorry," Now I am not sure why I am not worthy since I have owned a V6 150 for 10 years but if they are that elete then screw them! Ill be hanging out here!

Last edited by maninthesea; 11-22-2008 at 05:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.2L v6 harmonic ballancer questions