Check engine "cylinder 2 missfire"

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine "cylinder 2 missfire"

I was sitting at a stop light the other night and my truck (97 4.2L) started to idle funny. The check engine light came on blinking almost right away. I turned the truck off and back on and it ran fine but the light stayed lit solid now. I went to have the code read and they said cylinder 2 missfired. What can cause this? I have replaced the plugs (autolite), coil, and plug wires. Also changed fuel filter, air filter, and the vaccum elbow that goes bad above the intake because it was cracked over the summer. I have been chasing a weird power loss for sometime... Here is the old info on that problem....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v-...er-2k-rpm.html

But that has been on and off for somtime and almost impossible to trouble shoot. So are these two problems linked, and what causes a missfire on 1 cylinder? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by baxternick; 11-14-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by baxternick
I was sitting at a stop light the other night and my truck started to idle funny. The check engine light came on blinking almost right away. I turned the truck off and back on and it ran fine but the light stayed lit solid now. I went to have the code read and they said cylinder 2 missfired. What can cause this? I have replaced the plugs (autocraft), coil, and plug wires. Also changed fuel filter, air filter, and the vaccum elbow that goes bad above the intake because it was cracked over the summer. I have been chasing a weird power loss for sometime... Here is the old info on that problem....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v-...er-2k-rpm.html

But that has been on and off for somtime and almost impossible to trouble shoot. So are these two problems linked, and what causes a missfire on 1 cylinder? Thanks in advance!
Autocraft ? - That's the funniest thing I ever heard. You have some Mutant plugs in there/ Half breed - maybe inbred

As soon as you post what the hell it is your driving / engine etc etc.. You may get some help.

You edited your post - Did you try to pimp me ? Well , glad I quoted your first one

Check your wires, but I bet it's the plugs. - Autolites aren't specced for that motor - That's why the same company who makes Autolite , makes Motorcraft as well. Motorcraft are the spec plug. Autolites aren't the right heat range and don't last long. Thro the correct plugs in there to start.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-15-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Check engine "cylinder 2 missfire"