My gas truck sounds like a diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gas truck sounds like a diesel.

Hey guys new to the forum and to my F-150. Just traded my 04 Mach 1 for an 04 F-150. ( I needed a truck) I don't know if it is normal but my truck sounds like a diesel. It has the 5.4 3v motor automatic trans with all the normal Xlt stuff. Truck has 80,000 miles on it. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Cam phasers is the problem. See this thread about my truck. I had the same thing.....Dont know what to tell you other than it will probably bee high $$$ to fix, unless you have a warranty. This problem has been discussed here a lot. Do a search on "engine tick" and you should get lots of information. Welcome to the site!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 AM
My 05 truck is in the shop right now getting the Cam Phasers replaced and some part with the timing chain as well. I had the same problem with the 5.4 motor, it sounded like a diesel. Check to see if you have a powertrain warranty still. I do know if you don't have a warranty it will be $$$$$$$

Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Just left the dealership they said it was indeed a cam phaser right side. Thank god I do have a powertrain warranty. I will drop it off Monday to get fixed. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: My gas truck sounds like a diesel.