Most likely IAC but want another opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely IAC but want another opinion

I have a 99 4.6 with about 95K on it..not a daily driver. When i do break her out for a drive i get a very erratic bouncing idle or a quick start then pretty much an instant shut down. After i warm the truck it it runs fine. No codes are being set and i have run a scan with my scanguage. After searching and reading a bit the most likely cause seems to be the IAC valve. Agree or disagree? All suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes, it sounds like your IAC. Easy to remove and clean/or replace if necessary.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
thanks for the reply...i have read that this is not really something to clean as it is just a matter of time before it acts up again..do you know if there is any truth to that? as you said they are cheap and easy to replace so i was leaning that way...i found a Borg Warner unit for 44.99 at a local parts store.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Chrisoswald
thanks for the reply...i have read that this is not really something to clean as it is just a matter of time before it acts up again..do you know if there is any truth to that? as you said they are cheap and easy to replace so i was leaning that way...i found a Borg Warner unit for 44.99 at a local parts store.
Go get a new one.....it may be cleanable but if it doesn't fix the problem, you'll just be wondering if you actually got it clean enough or if it's another problem. WIth a new one, you eliminate that doubt.
Same thing happened to me and ended up going to buy a new one anyway.

Quick Reply: Most likely IAC but want another opinion