Funny noise that is not so funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny noise that is not so funny

2002 f 150
4.2 V6
62,0000 miles

I have neen experiencing a strange noise the past week or so, I have narrowed it down to the passenger side and I believe it is the alternator, water pump or serpentine belt. The noise starts upon starting the engine and gets louder of air. Before the noise strated my area expierenced heavy rain and flooding, I did have to drive through some deep areas, could I have damaged my alternator. I am not expericing any stalling or power faluire, but was wondering if it could be damaged. I also noticed I have a lot of condensation build up on the metal hoses that run from the A/C unit or water pump even when the A/C is off, not sure if that is even an issue.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
hmmm... could be a number of things

Here are a couple of tips.

1 - does the noise/whine/grind increase in pitch or change when the engine RPM's change? If so, the noise is likely originating from something attached to the serpentine belt.

2 - Turn off the A/C. Does the noise go away? Turn on the A/C. Does the noise come back? If so, it might be the A/C compressor clutch.

3 - With the engine on, turn the wheels back and forth a couple of times. Does the whine change substantially (get worse). If so, you may have water contamination or air in your power steering system. (Or worse yet, the pump may be failing)

4. The alternator may be suspect, but they are hard to identify without a 'stethescope' type of device. Go to the auto parts store and pick one up, and listen carefully.

5. A water pump is always a possibility too, but I would expect that noise to originate from the front of the motor.

Also, the serpentine idler pulleys don't last forever, and are often the cause of a whining/grinding noise. The stethescope will help you find the source of the noise though.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM
There should never be condensation on any part of the coolant system, so I'm guessing the condensate you're seeing is on the A/C suction line. Most of that line should be insulated, BTW. You say "when the A/C is off", but are you certain it's off? The compressor is enabled with the system switch in any position except "Vent"(or is it "Panel") and "Floor". That's why there is no "Off" position on the fan switch

Quick Reply: Funny noise that is not so funny