Need help with starting problem....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with starting problem....

2000 F-150 4X4 automatic 6 cylinder XL, 107k miles.

No theft system, does have a remote starter, but I never use it.

I don't use this truck much, maybe once a week, have owned it about 6 months. No problems until today.

It would not start after driving it about 40 miles to my destination last night. I tried about 20 times... nothing, no clicking noise from the starter, but strong headlights, so not a battery ,right ?

So I call AAA to come check it out, Guy comes half an hour later, and it starts right up when he gets there. I then re-start it about 3 times while he is there, no problem.

I go to a friends house nearby for about an hour, re-starting it upon arrival, it starts fine. When I try to leave.... same as before, won't start.I try many times, no good...after sitting about a half an hour it starts. I drive it home, see if starts afterwards, it does.

I suspect it won't start in the morning.

Does this sound like a starter motor, or something else ? Maybe a relay, ignition switch, or something else ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Doug21

Last edited by Doug21; 07-29-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Heat normally increases resistance.

I would clean all the connections to the starter solenoid and the starter.

If it still has starting problems then I would jump the starter solenoid when this happens to see if it is the failing component.

Larry.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by temp1
Heat normally increases resistance.

I would clean all the connections to the starter solenoid and the starter.

If it still has starting problems then I would jump the starter solenoid when this happens to see if it is the failing component.

Larry.
I'll clean things up in awhile when the heat dies down.

It wouldn't start in the AM, as I kind of expected.

Any instructions for jumping the starter solenoid would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of replacing it since it's a $12 part.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I did find a lengthy list of technical service bulletins for this truck:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...y=2000&m=F-150

01-21-8 deals with this issue.

01-21-8
• DRIVEABILITY - NO CRANK, NO START - CORROSION OF THE STARTER CABLE B+ TERMINAL AT THE STARTER SOLENOID
• STARTING - NO CRANK, NO START - CORROSION OF THE STARTER CABLE B+ TERMINAL AT THE STARTER SOLENOID

Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The starter positive wire from the Battery is known to corrode with time. When you clean the connectors at the starter you should have a look at the cable.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doug21

Any instructions for jumping the starter solenoid would be appreciated.
Only jump the solenoid as a last resort. JMC has mentioned the corrosion problem so use a wire brush to make the the copper/metal surfaces nice and shiny. I usually spray some of that anti-corrosive spray on the terminals after they have been assembled but its not necessary.

If I were to jump my solenoid I would remove the rubber cover ( in the circle ) and put a screw driver between the nuts on the terminals. DO NOT put the screwdriver on the terminal threads or it will make it difficult to remove the nuts.

I do not think the key has to be in the ON position when jumping the solenoid just to see if the starter will crank but it does have to be in the ON position to get the engine running when jumping the solenoid. I would also recommend eye protection if you have some safety goggles.

Expect sparks to fly and dont use a good screw driver as jumping the solenoid in this manner can eat into the metal like an arc welder.

Larry

Last edited by temp1; 07-29-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by temp1
Only jump the solenoid as a last resort. JMC has mentioned the corrosion problem so use a wire brush to make the the copper/metal surfaces nice and shiny. I usually spray some of that anti-corrosive spray on the terminals after they have been assembled but its not necessary.

If I were to jump my solenoid I would remove the rubber cover ( in the circle ) and put a screw driver between the nuts on the terminals. DO NOT put the screwdriver on the terminal threads or it will make it difficult to remove the nuts.

I do not think the key has to be in the ON position when jumping the solenoid

just to see if the starter will crank but it does have to be in the ON position to get the engine running when jumping the solenoid. I would also recommend eye protection if you have some safety goggles.

Expect sparks to fly and dont use a good screw driver as jumping the solenoid in this manner can eat into the metal like an arc welder.

Larry

I cleaned that connection up nicely, that being the starter relay on the firewall, and the battery terminals as well.

I found the starter motor under the right front fender wheelwell, but couldn't access it well w/o removing the tire/wheel without too much of a reach, I managed to knock off a red cap covering the connections, sprayed it with WD-40, but it looked pretty corroded.

Truck started fine after what I did, but the test will be a longer trip, I rarely drive it, except when I need to move something.

If she fails me, again I'll remove the wheel, and clean those connections... probably need to do it either way, in time.

I reckon after 8 years, cleaning some electrical contacts is due ? The Starter is hard to reach with the wheel on, a lift would make it so much easier... and some air tools would also be nice.

I can't really bitch about this with a 2000 model year truck !

Last edited by Doug21; 07-31-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with starting problem....