Is BP gas best for plug issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is BP gas best for plug issue?

I just spoke to a Ford Service Manager about a plug change on my 05. I explained that I had 50,000 miles and ask his opinion on changing the plugs early. He felt that changing at 50,000 would help but still no guarantee that all would go well. I asked if running some carbon cleaner would help but he had no opinion on that but felt it couldn' hurt. He then asked if I was running BP gas because Ford recommended it to help keep carbon buildup to a minimum. I replied that I run Shell and he told me to consider changing to BP.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Kenny

Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CruisinKen
I just spoke to a Ford Service Manager about a plug change on my 05. I explained that I had 50,000 miles and ask his opinion on changing the plugs early. He felt that changing at 50,000 would help but still no guarantee that all would go well. I asked if running some carbon cleaner would help but he had no opinion on that but felt it couldn' hurt. He then asked if I was running BP gas because Ford recommended it to help keep carbon buildup to a minimum. I replied that I run Shell and he told me to consider changing to BP.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Kenny
Good grief! The reason Ford recommends BP is because they pay for the lids on the trucks. Use a Top Tier fuel.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Global Moderator &

BTW, I use Shell, Texaco or Conoco, depending on where I am when I need gas, and I had my plugs changed at 65,500 with no problems.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:41 PM
As mentioned, Ford recommends BP because BP pays them to do this. All gas in an area comes from the same refinery. The difference are the chemicals (cleaners) add to the gas when the truck leaves the refinery. No one is going to tell you what they add.

Top Tier info is misleading. There can be many reason's why a company does not join (BP has a deal with Ford) and not being on TTG's list in no way means your gas is not good or better then those listed. Personally, I'd trust TTG lists no more then Ford recommending BP.

My recommendation is to use a good cleaner, such as Chevron's Techron, as recommend (every 3000 miles. Person I just use a bottle when I change the oil).

Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Shell is cleaner than BP.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Norm
Shell is cleaner than BP.
Any documentation or way to back up that statement?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by tcope
i am not sure about cleaner but my truck runs a hell lot better on shell. mine runs smoother and i average at about .2 mpg better.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Thumbs up

As mentioned, Ford recommends BP because BP pays them to do this. All gas in an area comes from the same refinery. The difference are the chemicals (cleaners) add to the gas when the truck leaves the refinery. No one is going to tell you what they add.

Top Tier info is misleading. There can be many reason's why a company does not join (BP has a deal with Ford) and not being on TTG's list in no way means your gas is not good or better then those listed. Personally, I'd trust TTG lists no more then Ford recommending BP.

My recommendation is to use a good cleaner, such as Chevron's Techron, as recommend (every 3000 miles. Person I just use a bottle when I change the oil).

This is probably the single most easy and necessary practice you can do for your engine. And most people don't do it even though it is SOOO EASY

It doesn't matter what gas you use, you will get gloged injectors and carbon build up. Using a bottle of cleaner at every oil change is a preventative maintenance that actually works well to keep your engine top end clean and performing well.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Does anyone know "where" the gas you use comes from?? Personally, I use gas that is originally from America, over the gas that comes from overseas. Arco gas ( BP ) is more American than any other brand. Using a cleaner will help with any carbon buildup that might occur. Redline fuel treatment is one of the better ones.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Shell is very **** about every step in the process right down to delivery trucks. In most ares you will only see Shells own company trucks filling up a Shell station not local bulk carriers. This allows them to control the cleanliness of the delivered fuel. I know there are exceptions to every rule but in general it is one of the best fuels for cleanliness.

Point is that if he is using Shell he will most likely not get cleaner plugs by switching to BP.

Last edited by Norm; 07-22-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM

What would be recommended as a good cleaner. I never use them. I do use Lucas Fuel Treatment though. My truck does seem to run better when I use it, may just be a placebo

Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevron always indicates their gas has Techron.

A few days ago one of my truck magazines had an
ad that also showed Texaco gas with Techron.

In tiny print under the ad it had something about Chevron.

Texaco and Chevron getting to be more of the same thing?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Chevron owns Texaco. Chevron makes Techron.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
i get my techron from costco it comes in a six pack and runs about $9.00 and they are the big bottles.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Shell Chevron and Texaco have the same gas. It has Techron in it. Yes, you can buy the bottled Techron at WalMart, parts stores, etc.

Quick Reply: Is BP gas best for plug issue?