Cam Phaser replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phaser replacement?

It seems my cam phasers are getting louder and louder as I put on more miles. 3 or 4 months ago I was at the dealer and asked about it, the service manager says it's not an issue, all the modular motors have the cam phaser knock and injector tick but it isn't doing any harm. Well, it's gotten significantly louder, and i can't imagine if an engine sound gets worse, no wear or damage is occuring.

Anyhow, he said he could replace them, but it may or may not solve the sound, and because there is "nothing wrong" with the ones in there and it's a "normal sound", he says it would NOT be covered under warranty. Does this sound right? I've seen around here some people had them replaced, not sure if it was under warranty, but I've got 15k on my '08, and it's gotten louder since day one.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
i had my cam phasers replaced at 21,000 +/- miles and they were covered under warranty, a few miles later the engine noise was just as loud as before. now 58,000 miles and it's still hard not be concerned with all that injector and lifter NOISE. now I feel it's the 5.4's nature.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:47 AM
The dealership told me the same thing about the cam phaser knock not causing any damage. I had them replace them anyway because the noise was so annoying, and it was certainly covered under my warranty. If they are trying to tell you it's not covered, they are lying to you. Take it to another dealership, and they'll do it.

I had mine replaced at 15,000, and I'm at 37K now, and the noise hasn't come back.

The lifters however are a different story....slap slap slap all day long...

Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The cam phaser noise is not a durability issue. However it can be annoying. If you want them changed because you are concerned about the noise then demand that the dealer change them. Yours are still under warranty by the way. The noise may come back and as I mentioned above it is not a condition that will shorten the life of your engine. As your truck is a newer 2008 tell the dealer that you want to listen too a few of his new trucks on the sales lot and determine if yours is excessive. They may or may not be as loud but if they are quiet then it will give you more ammunition to have them change yours. Some trucks tend to just sound louder than others. Good luck

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 06-07-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Just wondering, how is it not a durability issue. Typically metallic sounds that occur in mechanical things that get louder/more persistant are due to excessive or premature wear. I would think if there was no wear issues, the sound would not change (I like to think of a bearing pack, as it wears more it becomes louder till it fails or needs to be replaced)

Quick Reply: Cam Phaser replacement?