Rear Main Seal/Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Main Seal/Gasket

ok this is more of an opinion question. i got an 89 f150 and when i got it i had a drop of oil and tranny fluid every now and then. comes to find out, my rear main seal or gasket is out in it. i use this truck to tow my quads around and everything. im goin to be makin a trip coming up soon and i would be pullin 3 quads two over 500 pounds and one right at 400 and a small 6x8 trailor or i could possibly be towin a car trailer and 4+ quads. do you think the truck can make the hour half there and back without breakin down.

any input is appreciated.

thanks

Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as you have an automatic(you didnt say) and its not a major leak just carry some extra oil. You have to R&R the tranny to fix that seal. Not something most backyard mechanics can do. Generally costs about $500 to have someone do it and it should be done at some point. the leak will only get worse.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 PM
its a 5 speed manual trans. why would it work if its an automatic. and i got it quoted for 600 at a shop i was gonna replace it myslef this summer but this trip is comin up. and i drive this truck daily and i take it muddin for fun alot. have no had any problems with it. as of yet

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your clutch will get oil soaked and start slipping. I would repair it asap with a manual. while your at it replace the clutch throw out bearing slave cylinder get the flywheel surfaced. I've done that job before. It is a bitch for the backyard wrench...

Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
that sucks. lol cause when i bought the truck the slave cyl was out and would not go into gear. so i got the slave cyl replaced and paid a **** load of money for repair. so now your tellin me if i dont get this fixed then a little down the line im gonna have to get it done all over again.

well does you guys know how much work it would be to take out the manual and put in an automatic its a 4x4 to so

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal/Gasket