98 F150 5.4,,,P0174 Code, sorry 4 new thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jbrew,
That is some very impressive work you put together. VN photo galleries.
Again, thanks for the help.

Tjk

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks, yea that took awhile to build up - Wish I would have labled everything better for everyone . Doing that now would be allot of work at this point lol.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-24-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TJK-

I had very similar problems to you in my 2k, only my codes would only show up in cold temps. B1 & 2 lean. After a few weeks of testing I finally gave into the dealer and they told me cracked intake and it would cost $1k. Checked the intake throughly when I got home, saw absolutly no cracks. My best guess is that it is the intake gaskets. I bought a new set but have yet to put them in....mysterious thing is that the codes have gone away and not come back now that it is warming up. Doesn't mean I won't change them....but at least I made it through the emissions testing!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by R1Jester
TJK-

I had very similar problems to you in my 2k, only my codes would only show up in cold temps. B1 & 2 lean. After a few weeks of testing I finally gave into the dealer and they told me cracked intake and it would cost $1k. Checked the intake throughly when I got home, saw absolutly no cracks. My best guess is that it is the intake gaskets. I bought a new set but have yet to put them in....mysterious thing is that the codes have gone away and not come back now that it is warming up. Doesn't mean I won't change them....but at least I made it through the emissions testing!
R1Jester,
That's kool that your codes disappeared. Funny thing is, after I completed all of my necessary mait. and needed repairs (buying the truck used, was needed) , My CEL/P0174 stayed off for 792 miles, multi drive cycles, a few tanks of gas etc. When it came back on at night, it was a bit chilly again. As a Mech. Engineer, I know that metal contracts in cold and expands with heat, leaving open the possibility that when cold (er), it will increase the chance of a vacuum leak around the intake gasket and actually all gasket areas. Same as your case, it has been alot warmer and actually hot outside and I have not had my CEL come back on.
Jbrew, stated in his last post, that our engines are known to have the gaskets go on these intakes so I will be considering an intake gasket change as well. Let me know how you make out with your repair and if there is any info you want to pass my way will be greatly appreciated.
(info = time envolved, things to look for, etc etc.)

Thank you,
TJK

Old 04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Thanks, yea that took awhile to build up - Wish I would have labled everything better for everyone . Doing that now would be allot of work at this point lol.
Ditto on the labeling, but that would have taken some serious, extra time. For the most part, I can figure out what the pictures represent.

Again, Good Job and thanks !!!!!

TJK

Old 04-24-2008, 01:31 PM

Thanks! - Well , if you need anything , just let me know . A tech that frequents this site sent me the service DVD's from Ford - That covers most all procedures "in service" - One has the latest TSB's - I haven't looked at that one yet.

But yea, I usually send the procedures thru Outlook Express in Word format, or Gmail so the diagrams show up to those who need a hand with something.

PM me for those if you need something - I have service info for 1996 - 2006 models.

Those Haynes and Chilton's manuals are good to have, but they don't often cover everything.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-24-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Injectors. That's my guess.

With a 1998 it won't hurt anything but your wallet. I'm sure the truck will run better with new ones installed even if its not the problem.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Whiteghost
Injectors. That's my guess.

With a 1998 it won't hurt anything but your wallet. I'm sure the truck will run better with new ones installed even if its not the problem.
Yea , that made a ton a difference in mine. I found a crate motor getting parted out on-line (eBay) 2 years ago. I purchased the injectors , COP's for $60 bucks a set and the guy thru in a new wiring harness - complete! Best $120 I ever spent. Truck felt like it lost 1500 lbs after updating all that.

It use to feel like a heavy slug if you know what I mean.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea , that made a ton a difference in mine. I found a crate motor getting parted out on-line (eBay) 2 years ago. I purchased the injectors , COP's for $60 bucks a set and the guy thru in a new wiring harness - complete! Best $120 I ever spent. Truck felt like it lost 1500 lbs after updating all that.

It use to feel like a heavy slug if you know what I mean.
That's one heck of a deal. Autozone sells new ones for around $59. Even if just 3 of the used injectors worked you would be ahead.

I need some for my 1998 F150, 5.4L, 4x4. I'm avoiding doing it, but I'm sure I'll be glad when I do.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM

I do plan on changing them soon, I have the parts, just a matter of time to tear it apart, but with a little one on the way in a few weeks, my time is going to be limited! When I do I plan on posting pics with a how-to, there were quite a few people interested in that.

On a side note...quite odd that you share my initials and I am also an M.E.!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Keep an eye on that ebay site - There's a few guys that get Romeo Crown Vic Crate motors (4.6L's) and part them out. I seen that happen about twice a year. Injectors and Coils are interchangable with our 98's.

They part allot of the top ends out , but won't sell the heads on eBay for some reason - I tried to get those , but they said they couldn't sell them seperate.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by R1Jester
I do plan on changing them soon, I have the parts, just a matter of time to tear it apart, but with a little one on the way in a few weeks, my time is going to be limited! When I do I plan on posting pics with a how-to, there were quite a few people interested in that.

On a side note...quite odd that you share my initials and I am also an M.E.!
WOOOH DUDE: AM I TALKING TO MYSELF,

On that same side note, being a M.E., what specialty did you get into.
I was fortunate enough to get into and specalize in CNC Machines and Robotic's. Awesome field. Got into CO/2 Lasers for a few years as well.
Messing around with a laser, one time, I wanted to see what I could do with a raw beam out of a 500 watter, and blew a hole through a 12" commercial cement block. I only let it blow through the inside web but it only took about 15 sec's.
I'm figuring if I let the beam stay on, I could of blown through the whole block and into the neighboring building in under a minute. Ye the owner of the company was bumming, but I thought it was awesome !!!
That's weird that your initials are TJK as well. You from Central NY also.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey Jester,
I was under the hood today checking for proper vacuum (w/gauge) and all was good. While I was out there, I was looking around to see what kinda of job changing the intake gasket would be. Looks pretty straight forward. My Haynes manual has the bolt down seq. and torq. specs. if you need them.
I did what Jbrew suggested.
Last week I did the "propane" test around the whole gasket area and couldn't find an obvious intake vacuum leak anywhere. I'm going to drive it for awhile and see what happens. Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks,
TJK

Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'm planning on keeping the truck for awhile (I only drive 3k-5k per yr) so that is probably something I will do as well. Are you going to install OEM injectors. If not....what injectors do you or anyone else suggest installing. I think, Jbrew gave me a recomm. in an earlier post, I'll have to look back at it.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Jbrew,
Ye the After market manuals are limited. Feel free to forward the info you have. It will be greatly appreciated. Let me know what I have to do to get this info from you.

Thanks,
TJK

Last edited by tjk_in_cny; 04-24-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: 98 F150 5.4,,,P0174 Code, sorry 4 new thread