98 F150 V-8 5.4 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by advisual
I have a long heavy guage wire I can run from the positive battery terminal directly to the starter. Where do I touch it to the starter and do I need to ground it at the same time?

If the problem is the ground , then you'll need a gound lol .. I would just remove all the cables , clean the connectors / grounds / test...

You didn't say or I missed it - Did your old starter have the same problem ?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the old starter did exactly the same thing which is what promted the purchase of the new one. I thought it was a simple starter issue.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it still could be, me and JMC questioned the braided positive wire that Jbrew posted a pic of. i never saw you actually rule it out. remove it and clean that terminal next time ur under there checking things.

oh HA i didnt see the posts on 2nd page. this is a fresh starter?
start cleaning all your grounds (related to starter) and positive contacts.

hey uh, your battery IS good right? have a friend watch the voltage on it when you try to start it. see if it drops real low.

Last edited by Klitch; 04-08-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of what wire connect to what at the starter to make sure I connected them properly. Right now the braided wire is connected and tightened down but nothing connects to that bolt currently. Should one of the wires be connected there?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of what wire connect to what at the starter to make sure I connected them properly. Right now the braided wire is connected and tightened down but nothing connects to that bolt currently. Should one of the wires be connected there?
there should be 2 posts on the solenoid, ones dedicated to the motor itself, the other is your power lead to it that gets jumped to the motor.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There seems to be a wee bit of confusion. There are two red wires going to the Starter. A fat one that comes from the battery and is most likely corroded. A skinny one that comes from the relay on the firewall, yes sir it is called a relay. The skinny one activates a solenoid on the starter and the motor draws current from the fat wire. Jump the fat red wire directly to the positive battery terminal. Now try starting the engine. If successful replace the fat red wire. If not run a ground from the negative battery terminal to a ground point on the starter and try again.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM

The braided wire has it's own dedicated post. ~ ^^^^^ ~

Two Reds are circled ~ ^^^^^ ~

Ground her ~ ^ ~to that bolt below the valve cover.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-08-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Well guys unbelievably the fix was so simple I overlooked it. Turns out it was corrosion in the wires that attached to the positive terminal. When I cut off about 1 inch of the wire and used a wire brush and a little coke to clean the clamp it started right up.
Thanks to all of you for all of your help. I hope to return the favor in the future.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
JMC

Guess what. I noticed that my connector for the fat wire was corroded when i got under there to figure out what to post but I chose to ignore it. I noticed it again when i checked the header bolts to insure no leak. So I went to the grocery to pick up a few things............ The suspense is killing me. I went to start after load the groceries and I got the CLICK! 3 times I tried till my brain kicked in and associated the afternoon viewings with the problem. I was on a bit of an incline so I tried letting it roll but she would not pick up enough speed. Well I always carry tools. POP the hood, disconnect the NEG terminal and under the truck I go. With my 13mm in hand I proceed to loosen the nut holding the corroded terminal. Yup, its the fat one. As soon as I pulled the terminal off the post the wire came apart and I was left holding the corroded connector. What suprised me the most is that I didn't use any French Holy words. I rooted through my parts bag but nothing that would remotely replace the connector. Then light went out, or was that on? I split the wire down the middle and wrapped it around the terminal, tightened the bolt and made sure that there were no loose strands touching metal. Reconnect the battery and it fired right up. Tomorrow I will make a permanent repair. Sooooo....... Check the fat wire.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Damn JMC , Well, if I would of seen yuh - I would have to pull over and give yuh hand buddy . At least watch your groceries for yuh - Could have dropped you tailgate , drank your beer and handed you tools - I might even have whipped up a connector for yuh out of an empty beer can

Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Well guys unbelievably the fix was so simple I overlooked it. Turns out it was corrosion in the wires that attached to the positive terminal. When I cut off about 1 inch of the wire and used a wire brush and a little coke to clean the clamp it started right up.
Thanks to all of you for all of your help. I hope to return the favor in the future.
Oh brother - Yea , your buying the beer

Glad you got it figured out .

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by jbrew
Oh brother - Yea , your buying the beer

Glad you got it figured out .
I am partial to Molson. It's a Canadian thing, eh!

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

PS. Glad to know that you figured it out.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
canucks...

Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
does anyone know where i could get the plastic holders for the 2 fusible links in your pic the 2 on the firewall behind the plastic

Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 PM

These are Bussman Mega fuse holders. Hard to find.

Here's a pick of the same truck with the new Busmans installed, -

I guess Summit has them now.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...FbFaMgod8wIAzg

I had to mod the holder in order to mount them, - wasn't too bad.

Quick Reply: 98 F150 V-8 5.4 won't start