PO401 code

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PO401 code

So i have this code and its driving me crazy. I have purchased an EGR valve and DPFE within the past year, one from a ford dealership but dont remember which one. I did a test that I am not sure if it was done right. I took the top hose off the EGR valve an there was no sputtering or anything and I even held a finger over the hose and the valve just to make sure I was doing something, even for up to 30 seconds, truck still did not sputter. Did I do this right or wrong and do I need to purchase something just from this test and whatever info I gave yall. Please help

Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by suavehorn
So i have this code and its driving me crazy. I have purchased an EGR valve and DPFE within the past year, one from a ford dealership but dont remember which one. I did a test that I am not sure if it was done right. I took the top hose off the EGR valve an there was no sputtering or anything and I even held a finger over the hose and the valve just to make sure I was doing something, even for up to 30 seconds, truck still did not sputter. Did I do this right or wrong and do I need to purchase something just from this test and whatever info I gave yall. Please help
Have you ever cleaned the EGR ports in the elbow?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM
where would those be located? How many? Any special trick or cleaner to use?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
where would those be located? How many? Any special trick or cleaner to use?
They are in the upper plenum/elbow, you will have to remove the TB, and then get the elbow off. There are 2 EGR ports to clean, I use a can of brake cleaner and some pocket screwdrivers and pipe cleaners. You could test them by getting a handheld vacuum pump, and applying a very light vacuum to the EGR valve(the nipple on top of the valve). If the truck starts to idle rough or stalls, then the ports are not completely clogged, but could probably use a cleaning. Another problematic area are the two hoses that feed to the DPFE, they clog, melt, etc. If you didn't replace those with the DPFE, then that could also be a concern.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
They are in the upper plenum/elbow, you will have to remove the TB, and then get the elbow off. There are 2 EGR ports to clean, I use a can of brake cleaner and some pocket screwdrivers and pipe cleaners. You could test them by getting a handheld vacuum pump, and applying a very light vacuum to the EGR valve(the nipple on top of the valve). If the truck starts to idle rough or stalls, then the ports are not completely clogged, but could probably use a cleaning. Another problematic area are the two hoses that feed to the DPFE, they clog, melt, etc. If you didn't replace those with the DPFE, then that could also be a concern.
remove it completely? Is there a pic someone can post to show me what the ports look like? Ive never taken it off the manifold, just the front of the throttle body where I cleaned the rotating plate and whatever I could get into at the manifold.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Where's Jbrew..............
I'm here, let's get this going..........

Just kidding

Inside joke suavehorn

There's a sticky on the TB removal I think
Off the top of my head.....
take the TB off, pull the two 10mm bolts out of the EGR valve but leave the big nut on the pipe, remove the vac hoses, I take the IAC solenoid off to avoid getting carbon gunk in it, and take the four 8 mm bolts out....the ports run from where the EGR bolts up and through the elbow to the intake tract....

Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Here

Remember Ford updated the DPFE -If he purchased one from a 3 rd party supplier - it's prolly junk .. That's another possibility and has happened in the past. They had a short life span compared to the Ford sensor.

suavehorn ? You know how to do this.. Unless theres two of yuh..

You done yet ? if not , what do you need ?

Last edited by jbrew; 03-12-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Here

Remember Ford updated the DPFE -If he purchased one from a 3 rd party supplier - it's prolly junk .. That's another possibility and has happened in the past. They had a short life span compared to the Ford sensor.

suavehorn ? You know how to do this.. Unless theres two of yuh..

You done yet ? if not , what do you need ?

Well Jbrew, I never removed the whole thing before, just part of it, but I will attempt it this Sunday. It was that last bolt in the back that I could never get to or I never had the tool to get to it. What was the specific tool to get back there? Sorry for letting you own dude. :o

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Well Jbrew, I never removed the whole thing before, just part of it, but I will attempt it this Sunday. It was that last bolt in the back that I could never get to or I never had the tool to get to it. What was the specific tool to get back there? Sorry for letting you own dude. :o
1/4'' ratchet with a 8mm shallow socket. No special tool needed to remove the elbow.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 PM

You didn't let me down

Wait!! Didn't you strip a bolt or something ?? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then..?? :o

My bad

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You didn't let me down

Wait!! Didn't you strip a bolt or something ?? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else then..?? :o

My bad
jbrew, I have done many of things and have probably stripped something too.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 PM

Ahh , here you are -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=256051

You had a 401 & 402 problem at one time..

So what bolt are you talking about , I'll post a pic - not sure what to post?

Last edited by jbrew; 03-12-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
ahhh, the good ole days, thanks jbrew. Have i been here that long now? All I remember about the bolt was there was one in the very back that I just could not get to. Sorry if that is not enough info

Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Yea , but what are you working on ? EGR , DPFE, Throttle body or Elbow?

Quick Reply: PO401 code