Plug removal question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug removal question?

Hey.....I am contemplating replacing my plugs and was reading where it says not to work plug back and forth while the solvent is soaking down the threads. Why is this? I would think that working it back a forth just a tiny bit would help soften the carbon after it has soaked through. I found on another forum where a tech said that he worked the plugs back a forth a bit and he thought that it helped.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your talking about the 04+ 5.4l engine I would follow the TSB to the tee. Crack them loose about 1/4 turn and soak for a while then try to work the plug back and forth during the removal process. I have not removed these myself and not willing to try. I'm taking my truck to the dealer next week to have the dealer change them and put a set of the new champion plugs in.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You need to wait a while for the solvent to do its job. It is all laid out in the procedure.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another vote for following the procedure to a tee. If I get one that gets real tight I will back it off just a bit, but not working it back and forth.

Quick Reply: Plug removal question?