does anybody know how to change oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
I see little girls in my neighborhood riding around in their pink Barbie electric jeeps...Not my daughter! I am looking to buy her a little 50 dirtbike with training wheels I also look forward to her shooting her first deer by at least the age 10. Looks like I got 8 1/2 years to get her ready. My dad has already bought her first rifle. A single shot ruger.
Wow This all started from a member that wanted to know howto change his oil It went to HOW TO CHANGE DEPENDS HOW TO FILL A TIRE And now to pink barbie cars dirtbike shooting deer Whats next ????

Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Suspended
^^^I really like cornbread... The next morning, I put it in a glass of milk, and eat it like cereal. Flat cornbread sux...I like it light and fluffy.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RUSS04
Wow This all started from a member that wanted to know howto change his oil It went to HOW TO CHANGE DEPENDS HOW TO FILL A TIRE And now to pink barbie cars dirtbike shooting deer Whats next ????
Well, how many times can ya describe how to change the oil? Gotta fill up the pages with something

Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Well, how many times can ya describe how to change the oil? Gotta fill up the pages with something
Yep Your filling up the pages

Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 PM
To the original poster of this thread:

Just go buy a shop manual about your truck (Chilton, Motor, Haynes, etc.) and do some reading. Then, go buy a basic mechanics tool set (Craftsman is good and will be affordable as well - or go to Wallmart and buy some cheap tools ) - Craftsman has sets that can be had for $50 to $200 that will be enough to do the job and more (besides an oil filter wrench, a funnel, and something to drain the old oil into - but that will be affordable as well).

Enjoy.

Last edited by DVD_FX4; 03-08-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD_FX4
To the original poster of this thread:

Just go buy a shop manual about your truck (Chilton, Motor, Haynes, etc.) and do some reading. Then, go buy a basic mechanics tool set (Craftsman is good and will be affordable as well - or go to Wallmart and buy some cheap tools ) - Craftsman has sets that can be had for $50 to $200 that will be enough to do the job and more (besides an oil filter wrench, a funnel, and something to drain the old oil into - but that will be affordable as well).

Enjoy.
if u break crafstman its free replacement. not every tool brand offers that.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM
If your interested in working on your own truck (basic stuff) best thing is to ask your friends to show you how. Buy a manual and do a "dry run" making sure you know what is what. I've seen people draining the tranny thinking that was the oil pan. You'll need to get a filter wrench, 6-pt socket set, oil pan, towels, etc. My opinion; the problem when doing your own oil change is where to bring the used oil and filter; the possiblity of making one huge mess on the driveway if your not paying attention; improper tighten of the oil plug; and not replacing the gasket/o-ring and overfilling. I like doing my own oil changes and I use nothing but Amsoil products. Good luck...take your time and read your owner's manual on capacities and checking the level.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All REAL MEN change their own oil. It's a chance to bond with the machinery; to experience the Zen of doing your own work and doing it well.

What do fathers do in this country anymore? Don't fathers teach their sons and daughters how to change oil or change a tire?

The day I'm not able to change my own oil, they can haul me off to the morgue.

Here is a link to some basic instructions: It's easy; you'll save some money; you'll have the satisfaction of doing a job well and correctly, and you'll have something to pass along to your progeny.

http://www.ehow.com/video_11_change-motor-oil.html

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 04-26-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
I am a "real man" and am fully capable of changing my own oil. However, it's just not worth the hassles.

Let's see - I take mine to a Mobil 1 Lube Express. The bill is $61.39. For this, I get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 EP, a Mobil 1 filter, a chassis lube, a complete fluid check, washer solvent topped off, the carpet vacuumed, tires checked, and windshield cleaned. Takes less than 30 minutes. I trust the guys at this shop, they are good and know what they are doing.

My cost on the same oil and filter to do it myself would be $58.97. To save $2.42 I would have to have a grease gun and grease, a jug of washer solvent, a drain pan, a jug to take the waste oil to Autozone in, etc. etc. No brainer.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 PM
glc, chassis lube? You had zerks installed on your '03?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
I am a "real man" and am fully capable of changing my own oil. However, it's just not worth the hassles.

Let's see - I take mine to a Mobil 1 Lube Express. The bill is $61.39. For this, I get 6 quarts of Mobil 1 EP, a Mobil 1 filter, a chassis lube, a complete fluid check, washer solvent topped off, the carpet vacuumed, tires checked, and windshield cleaned. Takes less than 30 minutes. I trust the guys at this shop, they are good and know what they are doing.

My cost on the same oil and filter to do it myself would be $58.97. To save $2.42 I would have to have a grease gun and grease, a jug of washer solvent, a drain pan, a jug to take the waste oil to Autozone in, etc. etc. No brainer.
lol with gas prices you just lost that $2 savings in a trip to dump off old oil.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:57 PM
on one hand I respect someone that asks questions before charging in a screwing something up.

on the other hand changing oil is one of those things that should not require any instructions or training- it ranks right up there with pulling up your zipper

don't remember needing any direction on how to do that

Old 04-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rmeidlinger

- it ranks right up there with pulling up your zipper

don't remember needing any direction on how to do that

That could be the next Raptor05121 video.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM
glc
Received 768 Likes on 709 Posts
There is one fitting in the front end for a component that's been replaced - I think it's the pitman arm or something, it was replaced before I bought the truck. My u-joints have been replaced and they both have fittings.

Quick Reply: does anybody know how to change oil?