F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Gas tank in place of spare tire?? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/321911-gas-tank-place-spare-tire.html)

shifty_85 10-31-2009 06:02 PM

hahaha no the guy before me i guess a rock smacked it 2wd's dont have skid plates! . so its had a slow leak no even a drip really for 40,000+ miles.

yeah people keep sayin what if i get rearended? well my hitch is there. and on a bronco or excurtion all they have is a hitch too so itd be the same. also look at semi trucks all they have is a step A STEP! if they get sideswiped BOOOOM!

Thanks truck guy!! deff gonna post lots of pictures. i wonder what 4 3.5" by 18" long tips is gonna sound like! cant wait to hear n find out.

shifty_85 11-04-2009 01:52 AM

well good news i got the fuel pump sending unit and top part of the tank from the junk yard and come to find out. some put a new pump in it not to long ago. gonna clean it up and see how it works!!!.

change out the strainer and go for it! im going to do the spring loaded license plate found one for 26 bucks on jegs. then im gonna cover up my normal fuel door and bondo it closed.

gonna test fit it 2 morro then start messing with how to mount it straps and all that. might get it going 2 morro but dont hold ur breath. maybe a weekend. and then most likey a few weeks after that ill finish the exhuast :)

Its all coming togther guys i got all the parts just need a few stuiped parts and time and bam its done! Cant wait you guys have been great with ideas and just eggin me on!

Thanks alot guys.

Klitch 11-04-2009 02:37 AM

ok i read a few choice posts on pg 1.

1) what problems did the pinto have?
2)why would that apply to a 1/2 ton truck?
3) not everyone entertains the idea of a fuel cell in the bed so they cant use their truck bed.
4) why would the fill neck be considered an issue?
5) drag racers, high ponies, use fuel cells and in tank pumps do they not?

bobkyle2 11-04-2009 03:43 AM

shifty..i race with a guy that has a sweet fuel tank thought i would tell you about it... its a diamond plate tool box open the lid and its a fuel tank...with pump and pressure gauge and fuel gauge...also has fuel sending unit for the gauge inside the truck...its one sweet piece... it has some storage room too i dunno about how much

shifty_85 11-04-2009 10:44 AM

^^ ive seen some of my buddys who have cummins or powerstrokes runnin around with those there called aux tanks. and some have a hand pump to pump gas out too. but im stickin with it under the bed because like Klitch said i use my bed.

Originally Posted by Klitch (Post 3950366)
ok i read a few choice posts on pg 1.

1) what problems did the pinto have? *Rear ended KABOOOOM! do to gas tank placment in the rear.
2)why would that apply to a 1/2 ton truck? They are saying i do not have a frame or anything around the tank when i put it back there....uhhh whats the hitch then??

3) not everyone entertains the idea of a fuel cell in the bed so they cant use their truck bed.
Yes i use all 6'x5' of my bed alot!
4) why would the fill neck be considered an issue? Just didnt know were to put the new filler neck. gonna get spring loaded lincese plate frame and put it behide there.

5) drag racers, high ponies, use fuel cells and in tank pumps do they not? Yes they do.

Thanks Klitch bout to go throw that pump in the tank and see what we got 2 day!!!

thanks again guys!

stoffer 11-05-2009 05:51 AM

waiting on mock up pics

FATHERFORD 11-05-2009 07:06 AM

I was just thinking about doing this to my 04 the other day...

shifty_85 11-06-2009 02:02 AM

well turns out i screwed up. the tank is for a 1985 or 1986 bronco....witch had a carb motor with a fuel pump run off the cam. so the bronco fuel pump and sending unit i got the other day is to big to fit into the tank because its off of a 96 bronco.......so in 85 they only had the sending unit in the tank and had either an inline pump or cam drivin pump. i looked for a sending unit at autozone today with no luck....

FML well if anyone can find me a 1985 or 1986 sending unit for a bronco 4x4 with a 351 thatd be great.

its always somthing meh!

stoffer 11-06-2009 02:24 AM

just run an aeromotive 1000 external pump and be done with it...

after you get the sending unit

shifty_85 11-06-2009 03:06 AM

yeah thats the plan....just need to find a sending unit for it lol.

bobkyle2 11-06-2009 03:34 AM

have you tried one out of the 86 bronco that had the 302fi??...i thought they had 2 diff models of tanks..becouse the 351 was still carburatoratd..i think...i might be way off as i know about a 1/8 of fords as i know on gm's..

shifty_85 11-06-2009 09:56 AM

both the 302 and 351 in 95 and 96 were FI my buddy had one of each. he had a 94 bronco with a 351 FI a 95 bronco with a 302 FI and another 95 with a 351 FI all had alot bigger hole in the tank for fuel pump and sending unit.

85 86 only had the sending unit and a cam drivin fuel pump or a rail mounted one.

FML nothin ever goes right with me and workin on stuff.........lame.

stoffer 03-18-2010 03:50 PM

bump for an update

stoffer 03-18-2010 03:53 PM

so a 96 bronco fuel tank, with a licence plate frame off of some kind of car that had teh filler neck there and a couple wire splices, lenghten the fuel lines and this might work

chrmar 03-18-2010 08:18 PM

After reading this thread through, I'm not sure what people's problem is with having the rear mounted tank. F-150s from at least 80-96 with dual tanks had one back there and the Broncos did too. Expeditions at least have a slug tank like the F-150s... Explorers have the rear tank too. Trucks are designed to have a fuel tank behind the rear wheels, cars not so much.