F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Gas tank in place of spare tire?? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/321911-gas-tank-place-spare-tire.html)

shifty_85 02-19-2008 09:03 PM

Gas tank in place of spare tire??

my 97 F-150 has a small leak in the gas tank on the bottom and i really want to put a "bronco style tank" in place of my spare tire....would i be able to do that? i want to put the tank back there so it will be alot easyer to run the exhuast to the back...and give me some more traction in the winter time :thumbsup: So i was just wonder if i can put a bronco tank back there or if anyone has any better ideas let me know Thanks alot guys!!:beers:

tech-doc 02-20-2008 03:29 AM

I guess it could be done if you had the will to get it done. You are going to have one long a$$ fill neck though.

I personally think that you will be safer replacing your leaky tank. The exhaust is not that big of a deal to run if you know what your doing. :eek:

srievley 02-20-2008 04:18 AM

Gas tank

I can't help you on the Bronco tank, but when the gas tank on my 98 started leaking, O'Reilly Auto Parts ordered me one for about 160. Advance and Autozone wanted around 300. They all sold the same brand of tank. I had the 24.5 gallon tank. Good luck!

shifty_85 02-20-2008 11:05 AM

yeah i donno it just doesnt seem like itd be to hard to do...a longer filller neck a lil big longer gas line...i was gonna take the pump and stuff outaa mine and put it in the bronco tank...i was my exhuast to be 45ed after the rear tires on each side....and the tank is in the way so id have to have the driver side go to the passenger side then back infront of spare tire then out the side...if i had the gas tank back there insted i could just run the driver side straight back and behide the tire....Would my fuel gauge and everything work if i just took the pump out of my stock tank and put it in the bronco tank?? Do they make any like after market fuel cells that hold like 20 Gals or 25Gals that are boxy shaped like the bronco tanks?

hootdangmac 02-20-2008 12:30 PM

Why not just get you a fuel cell and bolt it down in the bed?

I don't see the big deal about running the exhaust down one side and routing it around the spare. ANY reputable exhaust shop could have that done in a matter of hours.

You have to also think about what would happen if you did put that tank in place of the spare and you got hit in the ass end. With the tank where it is now, it is protected by the frame.

I just don't see the reasoning in not just replacing the original tank with one that doesn't leak. To me (and this is only my opinion) exhaust routing is not a good enough reason to relocate a fuel tank.:confused:

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish you luck.:thumbsup:

shifty_85 02-20-2008 12:53 PM

yeah i thought about in bed i got a few friends who are welders ill ask them...also the tank in the back would give me better traction in winter ;) i donno i was just throwin it out here and seeing what you guys thought....yeah i might just have the exhuast shop have the drivers side go to the passenger then split back over the rear axle. thats for all ur input im open to all opions :)

GIJoeCam 02-20-2008 01:28 PM

Keep in mind that putting a 25 gallon tank back there would do a few things: First, it moves the fuel back between the bumper and rear axle. Ever heard of the issue the Pinto had? This could cause similar issues.

Second, as someone mentioned, it poses an issue with the filler neck. You could always relocate the filler neck to inside the bed, but that could be a pain too...

Third, it'll require some custom work to make the OEM sending unit assembly work. IIRC, the OEM unit sits in a reservoir stamped into the bottom of the tank. That reservoir provides a cooling pool for the pump to sit in any time it's running. A fuel cell won't have the same setup at all.

Fourth: The level sensor part of the sending unit likely won't fit nicely in a cell, and if it does, odds are it won't swing the way it needs to.

Fifth: Emissions equipment likely won't transfer over to a cell. Broncos didn't have anywhere near the equipment the new trucks have. The leak in the old tank will likely be detected by the emissions system and set a trouble code. Big annoyance to make it go away.

Sixth: Why mess with what's such an easy and inexpensive fix? $160 for the tank and you're done. Swap over the rollover valves and the OBD-II sensor, along with the sending unit and bam, you're done! Custom plumbing for a fuel cell, plus the fuel cell itself, plus the pump to run in it, plus a custom sensor for the level, plus countless electrical connections, plus the attachment of the cell to the bed.... is it really worth the hassle?

Oh, and the exhaust issue is simple: Find a GOOD exhaust shop. They'll route them wherever you want.

hootdangmac 02-20-2008 01:31 PM

In reference to the extra weight, you will have more weight back there, but, the longer you go the less weight you will have.

Plus, in the winter, the best place to have extra weight is right above the axle. You would be giving it more reason to slide around. (IMHO) Fluids don't sit still like concrete blocks do. :thumbsup:

shifty_85 02-20-2008 06:03 PM

lol wow im getin blasted on this thread....what about excursions they had the same tank style as a bronco..in the back and those are alot newer...after that big list you listed off i think im just going to replace the tank and go to the exhuast shop. just seemed like a good idea....yeah who needs traction any ways? its overrated its much more fun to see a 3 ton truck sliding sideways!!! Thannks for all your resposes guys :)

shifty_85 03-04-2009 12:59 PM

Time to bring this thread back to life. My buddys dad has said he'll help me fabramacate stuff to make this work i found a 33 gal brocno tank for 116 bucks and free shipping. i figure ill get the tank and a bronco sending unit and while were putting the bronco tank in ill just leave my stock tank in untill were all done and its reday to be switch over then i can run 45ed before the rear tires on both sides *Maybe lightning exits on both sides :)* Anyways heres the tank....would my sending unit and pump work in the 33 gal tank or would i need the bronco sending unit and pump? Thanks for all the feed back guys from before *i just re read this* and to come after this post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-1986-Ford-B...d=p4634.c0.m14

efuehrin 03-04-2009 01:13 PM

That's a lot of work and pain the the butt for an easier exhaust setup and some traction.

just replace the tank and buy some sand bags.

I don't really see much of a benefit in what your trying to do.

Your truck though man! :beers:

kingfish51 03-04-2009 01:26 PM

The older trucks (pre97) with duel tanks used to have a tank there, BUT, it was totally surrounded by the frame and crossmembers, something that would be difficult to do on a newer vehicle. The spare was up against it to help protect the bottom.

shifty_85 03-04-2009 01:44 PM

i dont care about the traction its just for my tank they want 340 bucks for it when i could do this for 115. and the exhuast shop thats "10 bucks a foot as many bends as you need" Qutoed me 350 bucks to put the driver side pipe even with the passenger side pipe thats not even over the axle or anything. i just want something differnt for exhuast and everyone on here always wants to run lightning exits on both sides so im going to do it and show everyone what it looks like. And plus it'll be a fun project im always helping my buddy do projects his turn to help me do one on my truck!

shifty_85 03-28-2009 10:05 PM

well gots a guy on a 4x4 site gave me a free 33 gallon bronco tank sendin unit n all about 20 bucks in gas but oh well. went to the car wash i washed it really good and i stuck the power washer in there filled it with about 10 gallons of water let it sit in the grass by the end of the day there prob wasnt even a gallon in it so its got a hole in the bottom...oh well will wire wheel it down and brase somthing on there to make it not leak.... any other ideas on sealing a tank without using somthing really freaking hot like welding or braseing?

Matts ford 03-28-2009 10:16 PM

napa, advance and autozone and even walmart carry some kind of soft metal that comes in a tube, it hardens as it sits. maybe try that. i dont know how rusty the tank is if at all but if the metal is too thin you may end up just putting holes in the tank with a welder.

phil6608 03-28-2009 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by shifty_85 (Post 3618986)
i dont care about the traction its just for my tank they want 340 bucks for it when i could do this for 115. and the exhuast shop thats "10 bucks a foot as many bends as you need" Qutoed me 350 bucks to put the driver side pipe even with the passenger side pipe thats not even over the axle or anything. i just want something differnt for exhuast and everyone on here always wants to run lightning exits on both sides so im going to do it and show everyone what it looks like. And plus it'll be a fun project im always helping my buddy do projects his turn to help me do one on my truck!

Sounds like your building a death trap.
If I was to do that,,I would be watching my review mirror every time I had to stop,,,just waiting for someone to rear-end me!:lol:

Did you shop around for a new tank?
Not sure what one fits your truck,,,but there way less then $340. bucks!
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Good luck with whatever way you go.

Phil:thumbsup:

shifty_85 03-30-2009 11:30 PM

already got the bronco tank we are not welding to it. we miight try some Jbrew weld theres a lil bit of surface rust were gonna wire wheel it with a full tank of water to try n find it. then try some JBweld or that sutff you were talking about. hey at least if someone rear ends me i do more damage to them lol. i always keep my hitch in so that give it another 6" of impacked before hitting the bumper n my tank. and i looked at my buddys bronoc n excurtion. all there tank is is inbetween the frame rails and the hitch on the back. i gotta get a new sending unit and pump for the intake. and relocate the filler make the fuel lines longer n im good to go! watcha yall think?

KEITHHATTER 03-31-2009 03:25 AM

I think that after the time you put into all of it, you will be better off, AND SAFER, buying a new tank or a donor from the bone yard...

Nothing in life is free.:coffee:

HillsOttfam 03-31-2009 09:42 AM

Without braving the snow drifts to go out and look--it seems to me I remember a bulge in the box where a second filler neck would go for another fuel tank, similar to the dual tank set-up my '84 Ranger had. All you'd need is the fuel door, filler tube, and maybe a little body work around the opening to mount it to for putting in the aux tank. I'm going to have to book-mark this thread, as I've been semi-considering an aux tank for my '97 F-150.

I DO see the point about installing an aux tank in one of these compared to the way my old Ranger was set up. IT was meant for it, whereas the newer trucks aren't. The added necessary frame protection for a tank like that, as opposed to the $100+ needed for an in-box aux tank poses some interesting fab-issues.

shifty_85 03-31-2009 11:05 AM

thank u hillsottfam. yeah im going to use my old fuel door prob and have the orignal one closed and painted up. ill take a look under the bed and see what i can find. i know the older models 96 and older have the dual tank doors one in front of the rear tire one behide it. gonna get it all cleaned up today and see what we got to do to fix it.

thanks again for all your input guys.

shifty_85 10-27-2009 02:31 PM

This just came the other day.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...1027091237.jpg

Fuel pump/strainer/sending unit is 105 bucks at vatozone. my buddy works there so 20% off brings it to 85 bucks. then just need fuel injection hose and some wires and im good to go.

Were should i put the fuel door thoe? i cant reuse stock because the filler next would be 6 feet long lol.

efuehrin 10-27-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by shifty_85 (Post 3660935)
"already got the bronco tank" <snip>

Originally Posted by shifty_85 (Post 3660935)
This just came the other day.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...1027091237.jpg
Fuel pump/strainer/sending unit is 105 bucks at vatozone. my buddy works there so 20% off brings it to 85 bucks. then just need fuel injection hose and some wires and im good to go.

Were should i put the fuel door thoe? i cant reuse stock because the filler next would be 6 feet long lol.

??????? I thought you already had a tank?

And, have you been driving around a truck that leaks fuel for 8 months???

stoffer 10-27-2009 02:47 PM

mount the filler door behind the rear wheel

f150fella08 10-27-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by efuehrin (Post 3941077)
have you been driving around a truck that leaks fuel for 8 months???

:lol: :lurk:

shifty_85 10-29-2009 01:48 AM

ive been drivign a truck that has a hole in the bottom of the tank right under the pump for 40,000 miles! avg 17 MPG wonder what a sealed tank is gonna do for my milage. ya i think thats were the filler neck is gonna go.

yes i did have the free bronco tank but it had a huge hole and i didnt feel like tryin to weld it. figured id go brand new.

only gonna run 93 in this tank nothing but.

thanks for the support guys ill get this rollin soon. also thats just the pump sending unit and strainer i need the lockig ring and top part with the tubes on it. what is that called?

f150fella08 10-29-2009 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by shifty_85 (Post 3943401)
ive been drivign a truck that has a hole in the bottom of the tank right under the pump for 40,000 miles! avg 17 MPG wonder what a sealed tank is gonna do for my milage. ya i think thats were the filler neck is gonna go.

yes i did have the free bronco tank but it had a huge hole and i didnt feel like tryin to weld it. figured id go brand new.

only gonna run 93 in this tank nothing but.

thanks for the support guys ill get this rollin soon. also thats just the pump sending unit and strainer i need the lockig ring and top part with the tubes on it. what is that called?

your probably talking about the fuel pump locking ring ;)

blackedoutV6 10-30-2009 12:18 AM

id get a flip up license plate bracket and mount the filler neck behind there

shifty_85 10-30-2009 11:24 PM

not a bad idea blacked out v6. ill throw it around.

yes the lock ring and the top part with the hoses going from the pump to the lines going to the motor and for the return line. found one for 40 bucks at a junk yards.

TruckGuy24 10-31-2009 12:02 AM

Looking forward to this :lurk:

bobkyle2 10-31-2009 01:56 AM

my 02 has catback 45 out the back behind the tires cost 195 with cheap 3 1/2 inch tips...its a single cab shortbed....
haha i like the idea about the tank...i would feel much safer with it in the bed tho:D....
must be that new sniper....sucked a hole in the tank?? haha

shifty_85 10-31-2009 06:02 PM

hahaha no the guy before me i guess a rock smacked it 2wd's dont have skid plates! . so its had a slow leak no even a drip really for 40,000+ miles.

yeah people keep sayin what if i get rearended? well my hitch is there. and on a bronco or excurtion all they have is a hitch too so itd be the same. also look at semi trucks all they have is a step A STEP! if they get sideswiped BOOOOM!

Thanks truck guy!! deff gonna post lots of pictures. i wonder what 4 3.5" by 18" long tips is gonna sound like! cant wait to hear n find out.

shifty_85 11-04-2009 01:52 AM

well good news i got the fuel pump sending unit and top part of the tank from the junk yard and come to find out. some put a new pump in it not to long ago. gonna clean it up and see how it works!!!.

change out the strainer and go for it! im going to do the spring loaded license plate found one for 26 bucks on jegs. then im gonna cover up my normal fuel door and bondo it closed.

gonna test fit it 2 morro then start messing with how to mount it straps and all that. might get it going 2 morro but dont hold ur breath. maybe a weekend. and then most likey a few weeks after that ill finish the exhuast :)

Its all coming togther guys i got all the parts just need a few stuiped parts and time and bam its done! Cant wait you guys have been great with ideas and just eggin me on!

Thanks alot guys.

Klitch 11-04-2009 02:37 AM

ok i read a few choice posts on pg 1.

1) what problems did the pinto have?
2)why would that apply to a 1/2 ton truck?
3) not everyone entertains the idea of a fuel cell in the bed so they cant use their truck bed.
4) why would the fill neck be considered an issue?
5) drag racers, high ponies, use fuel cells and in tank pumps do they not?

bobkyle2 11-04-2009 03:43 AM

shifty..i race with a guy that has a sweet fuel tank thought i would tell you about it... its a diamond plate tool box open the lid and its a fuel tank...with pump and pressure gauge and fuel gauge...also has fuel sending unit for the gauge inside the truck...its one sweet piece... it has some storage room too i dunno about how much

shifty_85 11-04-2009 10:44 AM

^^ ive seen some of my buddys who have cummins or powerstrokes runnin around with those there called aux tanks. and some have a hand pump to pump gas out too. but im stickin with it under the bed because like Klitch said i use my bed.

Originally Posted by Klitch (Post 3950366)
ok i read a few choice posts on pg 1.

1) what problems did the pinto have? *Rear ended KABOOOOM! do to gas tank placment in the rear.
2)why would that apply to a 1/2 ton truck? They are saying i do not have a frame or anything around the tank when i put it back there....uhhh whats the hitch then??

3) not everyone entertains the idea of a fuel cell in the bed so they cant use their truck bed.
Yes i use all 6'x5' of my bed alot!
4) why would the fill neck be considered an issue? Just didnt know were to put the new filler neck. gonna get spring loaded lincese plate frame and put it behide there.

5) drag racers, high ponies, use fuel cells and in tank pumps do they not? Yes they do.

Thanks Klitch bout to go throw that pump in the tank and see what we got 2 day!!!

thanks again guys!

stoffer 11-05-2009 05:51 AM

waiting on mock up pics

FATHERFORD 11-05-2009 07:06 AM

I was just thinking about doing this to my 04 the other day...

shifty_85 11-06-2009 02:02 AM

well turns out i screwed up. the tank is for a 1985 or 1986 bronco....witch had a carb motor with a fuel pump run off the cam. so the bronco fuel pump and sending unit i got the other day is to big to fit into the tank because its off of a 96 bronco.......so in 85 they only had the sending unit in the tank and had either an inline pump or cam drivin pump. i looked for a sending unit at autozone today with no luck....

FML well if anyone can find me a 1985 or 1986 sending unit for a bronco 4x4 with a 351 thatd be great.

its always somthing meh!

stoffer 11-06-2009 02:24 AM

just run an aeromotive 1000 external pump and be done with it...

after you get the sending unit

shifty_85 11-06-2009 03:06 AM

yeah thats the plan....just need to find a sending unit for it lol.