Nervous about plug problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nervous about plug problems

After reading all these posts about spark plug problems in the 5.4 engines I'm worried that I too will fall victim. I recently purchased a 04 Lariet with the 5.4 engine. The truck now has a little less than 67000 and runs excellent. It seems that you are certain to have a plug problem whether it is the plugs ejecting like a missle or not coming out at all. Can anyone tell me which catorgory I most likely will fall into? Over the weekend I changed the oil and filter(which brings up another topic) and while standing at the front with the hood open checking for leaks(after change was completed) I noticed a ticking noise that I never noticed before, could this be the dreaded early warning signs that alot of others have mentioned? Or am I just paronoid? Should I bring it to my mechanic and have him check the tourq on all of the plugs? Also as mentioned I changed the oil over weekend, I decided to go with Mobil 1 5w20 with a motorcraft filter, the dealership that I purchased the truck from ( less than 1000 miles ago ) did an oil chage and stuff but I wanted to get a synthetic in asap. When I opened the filler cap I noticed a grayish scum on the inside of the cap, (the truck was run only for a short time before the change was started), the oil that drained out was perfect, still a golden brown. Is this grayish scum something to be alarmed about?

Thanks for all your help

Old 11-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your probably just paranoid. engines are going to make noises just like old houses or anything else. what you read about here are a small percentage
of what trucks are running the road.
sometimes shtuff happens

Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Is this grayish scum something to be alarmed about?" Thats a sign that the previous owner probably didn't change the oil as often as they should. Don't worry about it, sounds like you will be on top of the maintenance and going with the Mobile1 and Motorcraft filter is a good thing Relax and stay informed.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Yea, I have heard the ticking, and, have been told it is just the injectors. No Biggie! I have also learned the gunk on the bottom of your oil cap is from the top half of the motor not getting warm enough to get rid of the tiny bit of moisture under the cap. It is normal as well.

Relax and enjoy your truck. Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by S.M.Jones
After reading all these posts about spark plug problems in the 5.4 engines I'm worried that I too will fall victim. I recently purchased a 04 Lariet with the 5.4 engine. The truck now has a little less than 67000 and runs excellent. It seems that you are certain to have a plug problem whether it is the plugs ejecting like a missle or not coming out at all. Can anyone tell me which catorgory I most likely will fall into?
Your truck will be in the category of those with plugs that tend to get stuck in the head. There is a ton of excellent information on here about when and how to change the plugs on these motors. Personally, if I were you, I'd consider swapping out the plugs and boots in the next 3000-8000 miles. Just be sure you or your mechanic follows the TSB carefully.

DMAC

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAC66
Your truck will be in the category of those with plugs that tend to get stuck in the head. There is a ton of excellent information on here about when and how to change the plugs on these motors. Personally, if I were you, I'd consider swapping out the plugs and boots in the next 3000-8000 miles. Just be sure you or your mechanic follows the TSB carefully.

DMAC
Exactly. It is the older engines that have the plug ejection problem. The 5.4 3V engines, 2004 through 2007 have the problem with the plug design. Wath this video:

mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech26_250k.wmv

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM
You could just call a few Ford Service shop's and see if they have the proper tool and info to remove a stuck/broken plug in the head. Tell them you have 8 broken plugs and see how much it's going to cost.

At least you'll know a worst case plug job.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Req
It is ridiculous for Ford to have a plug removal deficiency this many years into vehicle manufacturing. Plugs have been being changed in vehicles for not less than 70 years, and now Ford with its great engineering puts out a plug that breaks all too often. Oddly, knowing of the plug problem nothing was done about it except put out a late TSB and direct home mechanics to a tool, instructions, and absence of hope in doing a plug job that for many years was as simple as unscrewing 8 big bolts, then reinserting 8 new botls.

I do not intend to risk breaking my plugs or haggling with a Dealership. At the 60,000 mile mark I intend to trade in my Ford for whatever does not have a plug problem or a Dealership that turns their back on their problem. My new rig may be a Chevy, a Tundra or whatever. But it will not drag along with it the failure of the vehicle manufactuer.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 PM
This is such a petty thing to get all excited about, it is just a friggin spark plug. The chances of breaking them are remote, unless they are a regular member nobody is going to get on google, find this website and post on here that they didn't break. All we hear about the ones that broke. My brother has worked in a Ford dealership for a little over a year, he hasn't broken one yet. A automotive forum is a poor choice to research future vehicles, all you are going to hear about is what broke because a problem is what brought 90% of the population there. The rest of us are here just for the fun of it.

I don't care what brand, they all have mistakes and they all ignore problems.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
A automotive forum is a poor choice to research future vehicles, all you are going to hear about is what broke because a problem is what brought 90% of the population there. The rest of us are here just for the fun of it.

I don't care what brand, they all have mistakes and they all ignore problems.
True on the last point, but I think the other way about researching in automotive forums.

I want to know the WORST case scenario with a vehicle.

I EXPECT my vehicle to be flawless or close to that for the money I spend on it.

I DO NOT want surprises.

My newish truck upgrade came to some v8-powered GM trucks and my v6 F-150. I was not going to ignore the fact that the GM 10-bolt rear axle and the 4L60E trans are garbage compared to the Ford counterparts...that would have been moronic to do so.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
It is good to look for common problems, but to go running like it is the plague is a little drastic. It might happen so prepare for it, don't go running to another brand just because there is a distant chance the spark plugs might break. Of all the mod motors that have the plug breaking issue, really there isn't that many complaints. They put these things in F-150's, Super Duties, and Expeditions, there are a ton of these things out there. Besides you are probably going to spend more on the interest of a new truck loan than the worst case scenario plug problem.

Alot of it has to do with the dealer, if it is a good one they will try to help you out.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...en+spark+plugs

Really, I try to do my research before I buy a vehicle, not after because at that point I am already stuck with it and have to go thru the whole car selling/buying process which I hate with a passion to get something else.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
the ticking is a sign I found this out myself its the spark plug wiggleing around I had a plug pop out and simply screwed it back in they shake themselves out somehow i dont know if anti seize is a good idea when changing plugs. I dont use it because of this. As soon as I hear the ticking I tighten all of my plugs again. 2 hours of my labor is worth the $400 at the mechanics shop

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Ulf
Originally Posted by S.M.Jones
When I opened the filler cap I noticed a grayish scum on the inside of the cap, (the truck was run only for a short time before the change was started), the oil that drained out was perfect, still a golden brown. Is this grayish scum something to be alarmed about?
I have the same problem, it is nothing to worry about, all my vehicles do the same thing, it is the cold weather and short trips that is causing it and on the 5.4 3 valve the filler neck is made of plastic and it doesn't heat up as quickly as the rest of the motor does, water condenses inside the cap. Take your truck for a long ride and it will be gone.....

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
If you want a breakdown of the most recent issues from plugs breaking off during removal, email me. Madram02@hotmail.com. Or just look around a few pages back in this topic, Ive got countless posts, also the 04 newer.... Etc.

I had 7 break, and it costs 1200 and that was 50% of the total.

Quick Reply: Nervous about plug problems