Hope for those with broken plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope for those with broken plugs.

I'm a new member and this is my first post, so if I'm being redundant I do appologize. I would like to start by saying that this forum has helped me do alot of mods and repairs to both my 98, and my 04 F150's, and I'd just like to give back.

I've read the horror stories on here about the spark plug issues with the 04-06 5.4L 3V engines. I was bitten when trying to change out the plug on the #3 cylinder. I followed the TSB, and still broke the plug trying to remove it. From what I read on here, it's almost a certainty that when you break of the ground sheild leaving the lower half of the ceramic in there, you're looking at a head job.

Armed with all that I learned from this forum, I took my truck to the Ford dealer, and braced myself for the worst. They said I could be looking at $1800 to pull the head and that he'd try to save me some money if he could.

I'm sure we've all heard that before, but some how, they were able to remove the ceramic(which was broke off even with the bottom of the hole) and use the rotunda tool, only costing me $383.50 for the job. I know that some people on here refer to them as "stealerships", but I was totally at their mercy, and was already counting on paying the $1800. They didn't have to do it the way they did, and just rack up a repair bill.

My whole point to this post is to offer some hope to this situation, and to say thanks for all the great posts that put me heading in the right direction.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
You lucked out there.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That's great! Glad to see a dealer treating a customer fairly. That will get them business in the long run.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 PM
since this is a design defect the dealer should have done it for free. if it wasn't a design defect why does the TSB exists and the special tool?

those idiots at Ford have one of the best products on the road and yet the xxxxxxing dealership idiots and warranty policies are driving customers away. How many billions did Ford loose in FY2006

Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by rmeidlinger
since this is a design defect the dealer should have done it for free. if it wasn't a design defect why does the TSB exists and the special tool?

those idiots at Ford have one of the best products on the road and yet the xxxxxxing dealership idiots and warranty policies are driving customers away. How many billions did Ford loose in FY2006
The dealer should not be expected to take the hit for a poorly designed product. Ford is the one that has not stepped up and given the dealer the assistance to address the problem.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
It's my understanding that the plug design has been revised, and that a new tool has been issued for the older vehicles.

Doesn't let Ford completely off the hook, but illustrates that they're trying. Free replacement would be nice - but then what happens to the guys that either do it themselves, or have their local garage do it?

One of the many reasons, the biggest of which that I am just plain cheap, that I hang on to 'Old Faithful'.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does a dealer usually charge to change plugs on those engines?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by JasonFX4
How much does a dealer usually charge to change plugs on those engines?
It varies. My dealer quoted me $375 for new plugs and boots. According to the service manager, if they break one, it's their problem.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's where I'll be going, if my bud at Hillard can't do them for the same price that is.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Stealth
That's where I'll be going, if my bud at Hillard can't do them for the same price that is.
I would think they have the same pricing schedules since they are both owned by AutoNation. But, you never can tell!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I would think they have the same pricing schedules since they are both owned by AutoNation. But, you never can tell!
No kidding!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the MaxAdvantage extended warranty from Carmax. I will be taking my truck into Carmax, making them keenly aware of the TSB, and having them have a go at it. If they screw it up, it's their fault, not mine. Right now, my truck is getting pretty sloppy mileage, I figure it is about time to change the fuel filter and plugs.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Why don't the motor companies just switch back to the old style, like on my buddys 79 Chevy, all the plugs are right there, you can actually touch them! Seems stupid to me if all this plug breaking is happening and you cannot even see them why they don't revise the heads.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
The dealer should not be expected to take the hit for a poorly designed product. Ford is the one that has not stepped up and given the dealer the assistance to address the problem.

the dealer represents Ford and should be compensated

Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
It was my understanding that they actually took a porcelin drill bit, which is hollow, with a small clean out on the shank, and used a small vaccum much like dentists use to remove the debris.

It saved me a ton, and I'm glad to see they're thinking outside the box.

Quick Reply: Hope for those with broken plugs.