Truck acting wierd when rainy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck acting wierd when rainy

Hi all,

First off...new to the forum. Lurked a bit when I had a plug blow out, and learned about it here, but finally registered when this new problem started (it's a lot easier to use the search function here, than site searching with Google, hehe).

Anyway, I've got a 2000 F150, ~130K on it, V8 4.6L engine. The past couple of weeks, it's a pain to start when it's been raining. Now, with the nice drought we've had, that's not been an issue, but we're on our 3rd straight day of rain, so this is becoming a bit tiresome...so, on to the details of my problem (I've searched a bit, think I've got an answer, but posted this to be sure):

At first, no Service Engine light came on. Engine starts just fine, but dies if I don't keep giving it gas. After 10 minutes or so, truck runs fine. Last night (I work 3-11 shift), it keeps giving me fits. I give it gas, it runs, but choppy (normal for this problem, until the 10 miutes or so passes). So, I spend a few minutes driving to get some food while on lunch, and while in the drive-thru lane, the engine dies. I do the "give it gas" routine, get my food, head back to the interstate, and everything is fine, as long as I keep giving it gas.

While enroute back to work, I finally get a Service Engine light. Gonna go to Autozone and pull the code in a bit, and I'll post back later to advise what is said. But, the engine DID finally start acting right, but only after the almost 20 minute drive home, and the light is still on (checked just a few minutes ago). Also, prior to going on lunch last night, I popped the hood, and the left side of the engine is wet. That's "left" as you're standing there looking at it, that is...

I saw some clear liquid I assumed to be water on the front coil pack, plus all over the engine block. I don't see how it got in, but I ain't much of a mechanic, unless given step by step instructions. I'm not stupid about the truck, just inexperienced...

So, any tips, hints, suggestions? I just replaced the fuel pump last month (well, the shop did), and will be changing the fuel filter this weekend, if it dries up. After reading on here, I'm guessing there's either a leak on that side of the engine, causing the coil pack to short out, or the heater hose is leaking. Personally, since it only did this when it rained (and cold isn't a problem, as it started fine in 50 degree weather with no rain), I'm guessing a leak of some sort. Any help is greatly appreciated, especially if it saves me time & money!

Thanks in advance....

Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Iac

Maf

Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Question Similar problem here...

One morning and for no particular reason that I could see except for the heavy rain the day before, my truck started off running very rough. Idle was not bad but not as smooth as normal, but when I accelerated, the truck ran very rough, almost like a bank of plugs from a dead coil pack was out. The interesting thing is that as the truck warmed up, it started to run smoother. By the time I got to work, it was running almost as it normally does. This has happened 3 times now since I haven't had time to fix it and have to get to work. CEL was on as well.

Checking other posts, people have given coil pack, IAC, and MAF as the culprits. Had this happen two other times. I simply shut off the engine, disconnected the battery, and retried it...started fine. Now that trick isn't working. It cleared the CEL but still runs like crap until it warms up.

Any suggestions??? I don't have much time after work to fix this so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Scott

Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spark plug gap too wide.

Quick Reply: Truck acting wierd when rainy