Engine stutters in gear only it seems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stutters in gear only it seems.

Hey ya kids,

Alright, after a bit of searching I think I know what I'm chasing. Now, today it rained pretty good, a big puddle like backed up sewers flooded half the street. I avoided most of it but still drove a bit in it, enough probably for what's next. I finish a bit of driving, 5 minutes say, park it for 4 hours and go back to driving. It runs fine till I turn into the Tim Horton's parking lot and all of a sudden it starts chugging. So now I park it running and it seems to stop. I figure I better go home just a block away and see wtf is up here, put'r in drive and she stutters again. As I drive it seems cool, but at low rpm's it stutters. I kept trying to replicate the issue thinking it was the defrost (a/c clutch seizing, nope) and it got better and better. Maybe water got into my COP's? I did not put dielectric grease in the boot but will now even if the problem goes away. Maybe a COP going bad, maybe I'll check or scan for codes but I can't for a while so I figure you all may have a bit of input? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I did not put dielectric grease in the boot
That's your problem.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What he said ^^^^

Yea Blue, it poored here to , I'm about a 1/2 hour from the bridge and prolly going to be tearing up that bridge this fall /early spring (starting a 5 year project out that way hopefully) - 5 minutes from Tim Hortons

It hasen't rained like that in awhile, pretty solid last night , on and off today..

Last edited by jbrew; 08-20-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
No foolin huh jbrew, we did need the rain and driving through it like that was awesome I gotta admit, even if it may have **** things up a bit for me. You know, I was meaning to do that when I changed the plugs and figured they were fine and were till now. I bought some after that and do use it for pretty much everything else. Great stuff and it will be applied soon.

Funny you mention the bridge, I went to cross Saturday going to Flat Rock Speedway and the delay was huge. We didn't know wtf was going on, construction already? I wonder when they're going to sort this second bridge, or tunnel crap out. Anyways, thanks plenty fellas.

Tim Hortons is pretty good eh? kinda symboitic of Canada

Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 PM

Yea , needed the rain for sure. There talking about starting the heavy duty on the Blue Water this fall - I hope so , I need the work, there still laying off around here - thought I might have to jump ship and go out of state, I still might.

The truck does okay in the rain since I added a little more flappidge to the inner fenders. I fried coils 4, 7 and 8 in the past before doing this -

I new that old Freightliner mud flapp would come in handy

BTW- Putting the coals to her when the light turns green and it's raining like a dog, just rules.. - crack the windows for the full effect..

Last edited by jbrew; 08-21-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Ya, she's doing it alot now and it's annoying, so rather than just put the dielectric in the old boot, I'll just put 8 new COP's that I have as spares. I figure why not, these lasted me almost 200 000 km's. I am still going to check any codes to make double sure it's maybe not something else or as well. I will be doing this all later so I'll let ya's know what happens.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, good news! The engine seems fine now with all new COP's with dielectric in them this time. It seems #3 was the culprit by the looks of it, rusty dust up the side of the boot and a funky smell. I hooked a scanner up to it, a hand held one, and no codes before and after so again, good. I hope this is all but something fixed something and it runs right again.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 PM

Yea the first time I did mine , the Top of #4 had a rusty puddle on top, not down in the chamber tho, I had leaky heater core hoses then..

Cool!! Did yuh take her for a ride yet ? Notice allot of difference or just that there all hitting now ?

Last edited by jbrew; 08-21-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Mostly it seems to run normal (which is mint) and ya, took her out on the expressway, everything good. Came home, reset the stereo, had a beer and here I am. Happy times, can't keep an ol' truck sick for very long.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 AM

Yea , it's definitly "Beer Thirty" after a job like that goes well , taste's the best then

Mann, my daughter bought a truck recently when we started looking , we were trying to locate one like yours. We were unsuccesful , she really liked yours out of allot that we looked at from this site and others. You just don't see that many like yours. Let me know if you ever decide to sell.

She just turned 16 and this is her first vehicle. If you haven't seen it yet , here's the one she ended up with -

Last edited by jbrew; 08-22-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Her truck looks in mint condition, awesome. I know what you mean about certain models bieng hard to find, there is maybe 4 I know of like mine in years from 97-03. Too bad I didn't know that because there was a guy around here who couldn't sell for a long time, ebay even and I'm positive he still has it. But yep, she's rollin again for now, those #7/8 ones were a btch, especially since I have an all but broken hand (left thank god) little to no light by the time I got to them and little patience. It was beer:thirty pm after that.

Quick Reply: Engine stutters in gear only it seems.