Identify age of COP's and Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Identify age of COP's and Injectors?

Guys,

I don't know the status on my plugs (maybe the P.O. changed them recently, maybe not) so I plan to pull a couple for a look-see. At the same time, I was thinking of pulling the fuel rail and looking at an injector. If they're four-ports, they've been changed, but if not they could be a couple years old, or have 200K+ on them. Same with the COP's. Any way to tell by looking (date code, for instance) if my COPS and/or injectors are original or may have been replaced?

Andy

Old 08-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Guys,

I don't know the status on my plugs (maybe the P.O. changed them recently, maybe not) so I plan to pull a couple for a look-see. At the same time, I was thinking of pulling the fuel rail and looking at an injector. If they're four-ports, they've been changed, but if not they could be a couple years old, or have 200K+ on them. Same with the COP's. Any way to tell by looking (date code, for instance) if my COPS and/or injectors are original or may have been replaced?

Andy
The older COP's have Green labels. 2000 + COP's have the Yellow lables.

Next they were all black with white letter/number markings..

Old 08-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, jbrew!

The one's installed are yellow (like the bottom pic), so I assume, being a '99, they must have been replaced at some point. Question still remains, then, when? Good to know at least they're most likely not originals.

Andy

Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's the ones I'm running right now as well , mine came from a 2001 crown vic crate motor. Not even 6 months old and I've went thru 2 already. But that can be explained . My main gas supply line that plugs into the rail disconnected while I was driving her - Pumped fuel all over the motor

Yea , I sh^t my pants when I poped the hood to see that happening with my daughter in the front seat.

That stupid spring clamp rusted in two pieces on me ..

Anyway, I lost two COP's that way.

I had a set of older ones from a Mustange GT that I replaced the two with that was drenched in fuel.

BTW - I used a handful of McDonalds napkins to dry the chambers out - I temp repaired the fuel line on the side of the road as well, used my bootlaces to hold it stationary until I got her back home.

Your coils could be stock - I have seen both labels (Green and Yellow) on the 99's come to think of it. They may have changed lables half way thru 99..

So I wasen't really that much help. The order is right tho - Green, Yellow then Black...

Last edited by jbrew; 08-13-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Identify age of COP's and Injectors?