Synthetic Oil/MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Oil/MPG

I was at my local Ford dealer yesterday and they told me that switching to the fully synthetic motorcraft engine oil can improve my truck's mileage by 2-3 mpg. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is there any truth to it? I find this hard to believe. It makes me think they just want me to spend more money.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Im not positive but there may be some truth to this. I do know however that Full Synthetic oil will allow you to go more miles before your next oil change. Also when u step up to fully synthetic the quality of the oil is better which may raise ur mile per gallons.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm... i've never ran non synthetic, but I dont believe 2-3... maybe 1

Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 PM
It's true, but you typically won't pick up THAT much mileage. 1 MPG if you're really lucky.

Changing to synthetics in your tranny and diff. along with the motor will make a bigger difference.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am a firm believer in Synthetic, I run Mobil 1 5w20 since my 1st oil change, I'm at 8200mi now, my 5.4 runs so smooth on this stuff, & noticeably more quiet upon startup since I made the switch.....

Old 08-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
There is now full synthetic 5w20 Motorcraft oil on the shelves. Orange bottles and all.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 08-06-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
A little project for some one.
Go find a source of LUCAS syn. additive and report what the upper most/first line, label claim reads left to right in a dark background..
Talk about *****, in advertising!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 AM
"Keep that engine alive" ?

Talk about juevos grande

Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use royal purple 5w20 fully synthetic, I can tell it runs a lot smoother and quieter on start up than any other oil. And that Lucas additive^.... Don't use it.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I run Amsoil on my truck. The engine definitely runs smoother using any synthetic oil. As for MPG, you should expect a 1 to 1.5 MPG gain.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
You'll NEVER make up the price you pay for full synthetic oil at the gas pump. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20 is $2.32 per quart at my local Wal-Mart. The price for a premium full synthetic like Mobil-1 is about $4.75 per quart. The reduced heat and friction a full synthetic offers will not make up for itself in price per MPG.

Do I recommend full synthetic oil? Yes. It's better for your engine and offers more protection, but from a cost standpoint it just doesn't pay for itself.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
I've run various 20 & 30 weights of synthetic and conventional oil and been able to tell no difference in fuel economy. Four drain and fills over the the last 30K and my transmission is now mostly Mobil 1 with no difference in fuel economy.

I will say that the truck (currently 85K) runs best on a 20 weight oil. I see no advantage to going to a thicker oil in these motors.

The main advantage of synthetics is extended oil change intervals. To me that's anything over 5K. Under that and the MC 5w-20 is just fine. Towing and extreme low temperatures are another good reason. Just don't expect to make up the additional money you spend on synthetics on a 5K oil change with better gas mileage.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you plan on running your truck into the ground for a very long time, as I do, then you are much better off investment wise runnin a quality Synthetic, however if you a the type that typically runs a vehicle from 3-5 years, don't bother, it's just not worth the extra $$$, however as I can feel & hear, especially upon a cold startup, & the great mileage I'm experiencing on my 2007 5.4 screw, Synthetic is way better than Dino........period. If I get 200,000mi on this rig trouble free engine wise, its all good!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
On a somewhat related note, somebody had a blown up late model 6.0 Super Duty (still in warrenty) towed into my brother's dealership. The guy was worried wanting to know if the dealership would sign a paper stating that it was caused by the oil because the oil company garrenteed it against damages. The tech unloading the truck stated no, because whatever oil was in there left via the hole in the side of the block. They sent the engine in to Ford and he got a new one under his warrentee anyway.

If you are going to have oil related problems you will have them in the first couple thousand miles because somebody screwed up at the factory. After that it would be due to irregular changes or an undetected leak (pretty easy if you only change every 7k and don't check) There are far too many trucks that I know of way over 100k on dino for me to believe mine would be any different. Now that it is readily available I may be switching to MC oil the next change, due to price compared to what I have been getting and being what my truck was designed for. I personally don't mind having an excuse to give the underside of my truck a going over every 3000 miles.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnG6
You'll NEVER make up the price you pay for full synthetic oil at the gas pump. Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20 is $2.32 per quart at my local Wal-Mart. The price for a premium full synthetic like Mobil-1 is about $4.75 per quart. The reduced heat and friction a full synthetic offers will not make up for itself in price per MPG.

Do I recommend full synthetic oil? Yes. It's better for your engine and offers more protection, but from a cost standpoint it just doesn't pay for itself.
Wow!! Even motor oil is cheaper in the Redneck Riviera. Ah, what memories I hold from the prime of my life. I'll never forget the drive thru liquor & all those Waffle Houses. Which kid doesn't hold a special place in their heart for Club La Vela, Shuck'ems, & fireworks at the beach on The 4th? But PFN just hasn't been the same since the fire @ Show N Tail.

But getting back to the oil - has anyone tried Lucas Motor Oil in 5W20? In the past, as a young lad with a head full of hair, I liked using Lucas additives in my used cars' engines & gas tanks.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._AA280_.jpg

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil/MPG