Engine Caught Fire - Now What?? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I guess you didn't get the memo. That recall was 15 years ago.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-08-2020, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still happening in 2020. Parked over 3hrs

Originally Posted by supersoic491
Man what a night. My girlfriend and I decided to head to bed around 11:00. I was tired so I sacked right out. We have a window unit in our bedroom which we normally use, but tonight it was acting funny so I decided to just put a box fan in the window. Holy crap what a lucky break that was.

About 4AM Keri woke me up and told me she smelled something funny (she has a hound dog nose), so I get up and stroll through the house looking for stuff. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary until I opened the front door. There sat my F-150 engulfed in flames. (This surprised me since I hadn't even started the truck in two days!) I ran and grabbed the fire extinguisher, that was about like pissing on a volcano. Next I got out the garden hose while I was waiting for the fire trucks to arrive. Again that did nothing. It got a little spooky when the horn started going off and the engine was trying to start its self. Keri thought I was trying to move it! I said, "hell no, it doing that on its own".

About 5 minutes later the police and firemen arrived. They were all great guys and got it put out fairly quickly. About the only bright side is that it didn't spread to my house, which is lucky because it was parked pretty close to it.

Im about to call my insurance, any ideas about how I should handle them? Im assuming they are going to try and low ball me on a settlement. Should I contact a lawyer? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. There was a recall on the cruise control switch, and oddly enough my cruise stopped working about 3 weeks ago.

I also found this website, apparently this is not all that uncommon.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...f150_fires.htm

Wish i would've known. Made me aware, do recall check on every car. Because these car manufacturers really don't care about what they build anymore.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Luckily it was parked outside and not in that garage.

Good luck with that... hope you got good insurance.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:52 PM
Well 15 years later another fire with all the symptoms

Let me get it out of the way first, the truck was a 2004 5.4 flareside. I know that does not fit the recall, yet the truck had trouble coming out of park, the battery had been draining, and it had broken brake line so we know the master had been topped up (and fluid had likely dribbled more than once.
My husband was going to do the repairs for a friend, he's a retired red seal mechanic. He moved the truck ftom our driveway and backed it into the garage, shut it off and hung the keys on the garage wall. Next afternoon he walked out of the open doors of the garage and heard a 'pop' behind him. He turned in time to see a basketball-sized ball of fire come out of the drivers side wheel well. He ran into our house anf told me 'the garage is on fire', I gave him the kitchen fire extinguisher and asked if I should call 911. He said 'Yes!' and ran back out - in that time, the truck was engulfed, and as I dialed 911 I could then see flames busting out the garage's back window and out under the sills by the concrete pad. The OP said something about an extinguisher like 'pissing on a volcano'? Yeah.
Our house is 18 feet away, our barn about 100. We have six cats and a german shepherd, and all my pet carriers were outside from giving awsy a bunch of roosters a couple days before - I hollered to hubby to move our cars, and while the windows started cracking on that side of the house and in the door, I ducked out in between house and garage, grabbed the carriers, started stuffing cats and handing carriers to hubby. There were 2 cats I couldn't catch, and the bloody doggo didnt like being drug away by his collar and put up in our truck for safety. I guess he'd rather growl and burn??
Anyway, the garage burned to the ground but thank god thd wind was blowing away from the house, it melted and scorched the side and took out the power.
I have attached pictures.
And here is a question - this f-150 was out of KC MO plant. Is it possible one of the recalled CCDSs went on it?
Has anyone else had a fire like this from a vehicle not included in the recall? Also curiously, when I pull up the VIN on several sites it calls it an SVT Lightning with recalls including the switch, but Ford Canada does not. VIN is 1FTRF04544KC10817.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:56 PM

Let me get it out of the way first, the truck was a 2004 5.4 flareside. I know that does not fit the recall, yet the truck had trouble coming out of park, the battery had been draining, and it had broken brake line so we know the master had been topped up (and fluid had likely dribbled more than once.
My husband was going to do the repairs for a friend, he's a retired red seal mechanic. He moved the truck ftom our driveway and backed it into the garage, shut it off and hung the keys on the garage wall. Next afternoon he walked out of the open doors of the garage and heard a 'pop' behind him. He turned in time to see a basketball-sized ball of fire come out of the drivers side wheel well. He ran into our house anf told me 'the garage is on fire', I gave him the kitchen fire extinguisher and asked if I should call 911. He said 'Yes!' and ran back out - in that time, the truck was engulfed, and as I dialed 911 I could then see flames busting out the garage's back window and out under the sills by the concrete pad. The OP said something about an extinguisher like 'pissing on a volcano'? Yeah.
Our house is 18 feet away, our barn about 100. We have six cats and a german shepherd, and all my pet carriers were outside from giving awsy a bunch of roosters a couple days before - I hollered to hubby to move our cars, and while the windows started cracking on that side of the house and in the door, I ducked out in between house and garage, grabbed the carriers, started stuffing cats and handing carriers to hubby. There were 2 cats I couldn't catch, and the bloody doggo didnt like being drug away by his collar and put up in our truck for safety. I guess he'd rather growl and burn??
Anyway, the garage burned to the ground but thank god thd wind was blowing away from the house, it melted and scorched the side and took out the power.
And here is a question - this f-150 was out of KC MO plant. Is it possible one of the recalled CCDSs went on it?
Has anyone else had a fire like this from a vehicle not included in the recall? Also curiously, when I pull up the VIN on several sites it calls it an SVT Lightning with recalls including the switch, but Ford Canada does not. VIN is 1FTRF04544KC10817.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:59 PM

Old 01-28-2021, 08:16 PM
Question

2004 Ford F-150 Recall

Item Affected: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL

Date Announced: 08/03/2007

Let me get it out of the way first, the truck in our story was a 2004 5.4 flareside. I know that does not fit the recall, yet the truck had trouble coming out of park, the battery had been draining, and it had broken brake line so we know the master had been topped up (and fluid had likely dribbled more than once.
Has anyone else had a fire like this from a vehicle not included in the recall? Also curiously, when I pull up the VIN on several sites it calls it an SVT Lightning with recalls including the switch, but Ford Canada does not. VIN is 1FTRF04544KC10817 .

Old 01-29-2021, 02:14 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Sorry about the loss, but the 04 NBS F150 did not use the switch that was the cause of the previous recalls. Completely different system.

Whatever the cause, it was other than the circumstances discussed in this thread.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Sorry about the loss, but the 04 NBS F150 did not use the switch that was the cause of the previous recalls. Completely different system.

Whatever the cause, it was other than the circumstances discussed in this thread.
It would not be the first time a part was put on that wasn't supposed to be, so I thought I would ask.

Also do you know if is there is an option to delete a post? All I see is 'edit' so perhaps I am missing it. My duplicated several times and I'd like to remove the extras.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:07 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
You can't delete it, but you can edit it and delete everything. You do need a few characters for it to be valid, so just type post deleted or something like that.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:44 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89

also note that the vehicle was in need of unknown repairs and in unknown condition prior to the incident

Old 04-07-2021, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Whoa, that's the worst one I've seen so far. Might wanna try giving Ford Customer Service a call, see if they'll do anything. It's worth a shot at least.
I’m sick! Just put a brand new alternator, battery, starter and much more. Firefighters, were surprised because the truck was in pretty good condition. Not sure what started it but the cruise control switch was smoking a couple days ago on the master cylinder it was a miner leak but it was just needing tightened. Drive great the day before no codes and I was ecstatic. Luckily my home/neighbors home wasn’t damaged and I hadn’t left for work as I was heading out to go it was engulfed. So much money gone down the drain.

4-6-21 How my morning started before heading to work and hadn’t crunk her up before fire.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:01 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
the cruise control switch was smoking a couple days ago on the master cylinder it was a miner leak but it was just needing tightened.
No, it needed to be replaced.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty Nelson
I’m sick! Just put a brand new alternator, battery, starter and much more. Firefighters, were surprised because the truck was in pretty good condition. Not sure what started it but the cruise control switch was smoking a couple days ago on the master cylinder it was a miner leak but it was just needing tightened. Drive great the day before no codes and I was ecstatic. Luckily my home/neighbors home wasn’t damaged and I hadn’t left for work as I was heading out to go it was engulfed. So much money gone down the drain.

4-6-21 How my morning started before heading to work and hadn’t crunk her up before fire.

perfect example of operator ERROR

Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Judging by the photos, that was from the master cylinder area.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the engine bay before the fire? We can usually point out if the cruise control recall was done by the pigtail and label.

Quick Reply: Engine Caught Fire - Now What?? (Pics)