Engine Caught Fire - Now What?? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know about you, but I still here allot of fireworks going off around here. It happened @ 11pm - it's possible.

You have homeowners insurance right?
jbrew does ford ever make a mistake?

Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
jbrew does ford ever make a mistake?
Hell no!!!

It's most likley the cruise control deal .

Of course they have - what kind of question is that . Do you honestly think Fords perfect Brother?

Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately it is _extremely_ unlikely that your insurance company will pursue recovery from Ford. It's just not worth the cost involved. Also, Ford will not release any information from the computer systems on their vehicles. If this was a TSB and not a recall, Ford is indicating that the problem only needs to be addressed if the owner is having issues. If a fire could result, this should be a recall with major news coverage.

OP, make sure you review the insurance companies report on your vehicle. Make sure it includes _all_ options and is accurate (mileage, etc). Appraiser's like total loss vehicles as they are quick and easy (no repair shops to deal with and no supplements) so they usually do them very quickly. If the insurance company uses a vendor (such as CCC or Auto???), obtain a copy of this print out and review it to make sure it's correct. If they take a deduction for any prior damage make sure they don't simply deduct the cost of those repairs from the value of the vehicle as this is incorrect.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM

It was a recall , I got two letters just for mine..Both 98's have been done and my buddies 01 was recalled. If it hasn't been brought in you need to unplug your cruise. Funny how it was sitting for two days before it happened - that's scary.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-30-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all of the support guys. I just bought this truck about 4 months ago, and hadn't given much thought to the recalls. Guess I learned that lesson the hard way. It is burnt up pretty bad, who knows how long it was burning before I noticed it. Probably a while. Hopefully this thread will motivate some people that have been putting it off though.

OP, make sure you review the insurance companies report on your vehicle. Make sure it includes _all_ options and is accurate (mileage, etc). Appraiser's like total loss vehicles as they are quick and easy (no repair shops to deal with and no supplements) so they usually do them very quickly. If the insurance company uses a vendor (such as CCC or Auto???), obtain a copy of this print out and review it to make sure it's correct. If they take a deduction for any prior damage make sure they don't simply deduct the cost of those repairs from the value of the vehicle as this is incorrect.

Thanks for those tips, I have owned a lot of cars over the years, but have somehow been lucky enough to avoid any serious dealings with the insurance companies. Im trying to get educated so they don't screw me.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow... sorry to see that. That was because of the cruise control recall...

Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I forgot something else I wanted to ask: If the adjuster comes back with a price that is below fair market value, what options do I have? Can I negotiate the settlement, or just deny the settlement all together?

I don't expect them to buy me a new BMW or anything, but I do expect to be able to purchase a somewhat similar truck with the settlement money.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:42 PM
That Sucks!!!!
I have a suggestion.Usually if you ask you can buy your truck back from the insurance company cheap.You could most likely buy yours real cheap considering it's age.The insurance company will give you a salvage title and you could use it for parts on your next truck
Something of that age by the time they have it towed and auctioned it is not worth it for them if the owner is willing to buy iy back.When they go to cut you a cheack they would just subtract the agreed buy back price from your cheack.My brother just did this on a vehicle.I also have had a owner buy a truck from them and then sell it to me for the price he paid

Last edited by Kevin24; 07-30-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by supersoic491
I forgot something else I wanted to ask: If the adjuster comes back with a price that is below fair market value, what options do I have? Can I negotiate the settlement, or just deny the settlement all together?

I don't expect them to buy me a new BMW or anything, but I do expect to be able to purchase a somewhat similar truck with the settlement money.
You need to find out the residual value, a realistic one. A quick paper trail. Same year truck , same options. You can do that quick, thanx to the internet. Ebay, Dealerships, Etc. You might even copy some trucks like yours off and Fax them into your insurance company so they don't try to lowball yuh.

You have to except the settlement for it to be a done deal. I would wait for them to offer though - before you do anything. They might surprise you with a great offer right off the bat.

Yes, you can negotiate.

Last edited by jbrew; 07-30-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same thing happened to me, (check out my gallery).

I feel your pain man......sorry!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Whoa, that's the worst one I've seen so far......
This is one off of the sale list I posted. It's a little worse ..........

The bed and 2 rear wheels off of this one are on mine now. If it's any comfort, those that pass to the GREAT FTE in the sky become life for others.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks again for all the tips! I filed my claim today and the adjuster is suppose to get in touch with me in the next day or two. I'll post up on how it goes.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Mine is at the dealership this morning having the recall work done on my 1998 F150. Those pictures put the scare in me....

Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Scary.

Lucky it wasn't parked in a garage.

Let me ask you, have you had any work done on it recently? New pads, rotors, any brake fluid added to the master cylinder? etc..?

Joey

Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Let me ask you, have you had any work done on it recently? New pads, rotors, any brake fluid added to the master cylinder? etc..?
No, the brake system has never been touched by me, but Ive only had it for about 4 months. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was the cruise control quit working. With all of the posts on here, and other research Ive been doing it does seem to be the dreaded cruise control fire.

EDIT- Spelling

Last edited by supersoic491; 07-31-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Caught Fire - Now What?? (Pics)