HP Gains

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HP Gains

I have a 1997 Ford F-150 with a Windsor 4.6L V8 (and yes I have the truck fixed for all of you that were following and remember my story with the engine blowing up and the timing issue). I was just wondering how much HP and torque gains will I see with my mods. I have a true dual 2.5'' aluminium exhaust with both cats and resonators pulled, O2 simulators installed, with a 70 series dual in dual out muffler. I also have an AF1 intake ready to go in in a day or so. Also, when I rebuilt the engine I used Federal Mogul PowerSeal cast al pistons. (if I had my time back I would of went with forged al) which they claim will give me some hp and torque gains(dought it!). So I was just wondering what should I see for power gains do you think? I am thinking 20ish but don't really know for sure.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Sounds like youre off to a good start. I can't give you any exact numbers but it will definitely have a good amount of power. I just hope you weren't going for a loud exhaust sound because the 70 series isn't the loudest of mufflers available. But...with the cats removed etc. that should make up for it.

Oh yea, its "doubt"

Old 07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Good choice with the 70's - atleast you'll have some low end with those. It sucks when those trucks with the loud exhaust get in front of you on the road in traffic and make all that noise but don't go anywhere.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:34 PM
It sounds awesome to me. The cops up here are very particular over loud exhaust so when I got it done I told him I didn't want something that would really catch their attention just going through town and I got exactly what I wanted. When I punch it it roars up real good and just running through town its got a nice smooth "growell" so its what I wanted. But yeah with my cats pulled it worked out to be about as loud as a 50 series with cats and resonators. Any more thoughts on power gains?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Come on someone must have some estimate as to how much power gains I will have. Jbrew you have an AF1 and exhaust what do you think?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by charic09
I have a 1997 Ford F-150 with a Windsor 4.6L V8 (and yes I have the truck fixed for all of you that were following and remember my story with the engine blowing up and the timing issue). I was just wondering how much HP and torque gains will I see with my mods. I have a true dual 2.5'' aluminium exhaust with both cats and resonators pulled, O2 simulators installed, with a 70 series dual in dual out muffler. I also have an AF1 intake ready to go in in a day or so. Also, when I rebuilt the engine I used Federal Mogul PowerSeal cast al pistons. (if I had my time back I would of went with forged al) which they claim will give me some hp and torque gains(dought it!). So I was just wondering what should I see for power gains do you think? I am thinking 20ish but don't really know for sure.
HI!... 1ST off we have no resonators on these trucks. There are 4 cats, two per side. By removing all 4 cats you probably picked up a tiny bit of H.P in the very high rpm range. You however most likely lost quite a bit of TQ on the low end. The CAI probably got you about 10 FWH.P at best. The FLOWMASTER flows no better than the stock muffler, just alot louder. I'll say you picked up 15FWH.P at best. IHO.

Quick Reply: HP Gains