Finished cop install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finished cop install...

i finally got a chance to install my motoblue 60k volt coils and "hardcore" coil connectors at my shop today, we were slow so got to have some fun, i hate to admit it, but there was a damn good noticable difference once they were installed, better throttle response, better take off... power delivery in general just felt smoother. i didn't think they were going to be that decent considering it was only $29 per coil, and $89 for the connectors. personally, i think it to be a wise investment, PLUS, they're cheaper than factory coils, and half the price than granatelli's cop set-up (by the way, the connectors i payed $89 for came in a granatelli box)

check these out http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8wgf.htm
b.t.w. the kit for $199 just comes w/ "high performance" connectors, not the solid 0-ohm.

8-1-07 will be the delivery date of my troyer electric fans, hoping to see a really nice increase from these...

Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 AM
If I'm not mistaken @ X amount of horse power JLP is still running stock coils, hmm?? So are many of us that are well over the 450 plus threshold..
However as a substitute for stock those and the Accels are a bargain..

Last edited by Dbl G; 07-28-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
you know, some people just can't be ok with others can they, and thats fine if they're pulling that much power out of the factory ignition, but i've been modifying cars since i could lift a wrench, and the more power you build, the more strain you put on the factory ignition, i'd put alot of money down on it that if "those people" would swap to a higher voltage coil, a solid connector, and increase the plug gap about .005, they'd get alot more out of all those other fancy expensive mods that some of us can't afford. you have to maximize the performance of all the parts you use, not just leave something there cause "it can handle it"...

Old 07-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I was simply pointing out that it is not necessary to spend the money for this Mod, it is like what benefits at what level , when or when not will one see a gain.
I have the same problem I like to spend even if the gain is minimal.
Text fundamentally fun.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MotoBlue Cops

I scanned over the add for the Motoblue cops and could not find the specs for them ie : 60k volts. I and seriously debating them. The only problem is I already purchased a set of stock coils. I gotta sell those first.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously doubt there is a difference. The factory is going for max MPG and they aren't going to go cheap on the coils. You want them to be more powerful, but I bet a dyno comparing the two will show no difference.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Maybe some tech on how ignitions works is in order now to gain perspective.
The break over voltage the plugs need to fire the charge is determined by the compression pressure and the A/F ratio at that time of discharge, assuming the plugs are faultless or thay add to it.
The full voltage the coils are able to give is not used because the break down conditons in the plug gap normally require only about 7000 to 15,000 volts and can vary everytime a cylinder is fired.
The rest is reserve and never gets used at full output once the breakdown is initiated at the lower voltages and effectivly dumps the total.

The hardest conditions in a stock motor to fire the plugs comes at lean A/F ratios and advanced timing. This occurs under long decelleration times and under open EGR conditions at light throttle cruise.
Heavey accelleration has it's own set of different condition for the plugs to fire.
There is something to be said about increasing ignition voltages when not really needed.
Some are that the boots may not hold the higher voltages after aging takes place, punching holes in the boots and/or jumping the distance to the plug body as well as the plug 'well' conditions can become more sensitive to moisture leading to possible failures at more often intervals.
More is not always better in all cases unless needed.
All larger plug gaps do is expose the mixture to a longer spark kernal that tends to improve idle and low rpm operation but tend to increase voltage requirements at higher rpm.
Some other effects of increased coil voltage is possible feedback RF interference to the PCM that could upset processing at times and cause other drivability issues to come and go, so there is a common sense limit to this for a street vehichle..
Don't fall for the dazzle of 'high voltage' as the only reason to use them.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 08-16-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 AM
I put them on my truck because i wanted to change coils anyways since im just about at 100k kms. They did seem to smooth the idle out a little bit but i dont know if there was too much difference. But i can tell you that for the price they were worth it. Im sure the ford coils from a dealership work out more expensive than these ones.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by seidita84t
check these out http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8wgf.htm
b.t.w. the kit for $199 just comes w/ "high performance" connectors, not the solid 0-ohm.
I'm about to hit the 100K mile mark on my 2004 5.4L engine very soon (currently at 95K), and I'm contemplating of going with the MOTOBLUE brand for my CoPs. So basically, all I need is to buy eight of part# MTI-P81812C-1 (Year 04-07) at $24.95 each and the part# MTI-81812 (Year 04-07) at $99.95 to hook everything up with my Autolite HT0 Spark Plugs that I will be using, correct?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Maybe some tech on how ignitions works is in order now to gain perspective.
The break over voltage the plugs need to fire the charge is determined by the compression pressure and the A/F ratio at that time of discharge, assuming the plugs are faultless or thay add to it.
The full voltage the coils are able to give is not used because the break down conditons in the plug gap normally require only about 7000 to 15,000 volts and can vary everytime a cylinder is fired.
The rest is reserve and never gets used at full output once the breakdown is initiated at the lower voltages and effectivly dumps the total.

The hardest conditions in a stock motor to fire the plugs comes at lean A/F ratios and advanced timing. This occurs under long decelleration times and under open EGR conditions at light throttle cruise.
Heavey accelleration has it's own set of different condition for the plugs to fire.
There is something to be said about increasing ignition voltages when not really needed.
Some are that the boots may not hold the higher voltages after aging takes place, punching holes in the boots and/or jumping the distance to the plug body as well as the plug 'well' conditions can become more sensitive to moisture leading to possible failures at more often intervals.
More is not always better in all cases unless needed.
All larger plug gaps do is expose the mixture to a longer spark kernal that tends to improve idle and low rpm operation but tend to increase voltage requirements at higher rpm.
Some other effects of increased coil voltage is possible feedback RF interference to the PCM that could upset processing at times and cause other drivability issues to come and go, so there is a common sense limit to this for a street vehichle..
Don't fall for the dazzle of 'high voltage' as the only reason to use them.

as he said. If your needing to replace bad coil packs.. fine, go for the replacements listed.... to save money. but don't change perfectly good coil packs expecting to get better performace.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
More Power with better COP's? The PCM only shoots low voltage signals to the COP's - That's all they need to convert to a heathy pulse. COP's just ware out , you can't creat more power with them unless your current system is faulty.

I was just talking to Neal about his Granitellies. They caused the PCM to shut down omn his truck. Troyer sent him some MSD covers , he ended up relocating the PCM in the glovebox instead..

All you need is a healthy COP system. The Motoblues seam to be a good choice with the connectors and boots (500 mil slilcon) .

They need protection more than anything.

Last edited by jbrew; 08-18-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Some new information to relay, now.
I have attempted to use the ACCEL coils which work fine as long as no faults with the coils develop.
To date I bought 8 coils of which 3 have already failed, one has been replaced by the vendor..
Presently have 7 ACCELs and one OEM in the motor.
It appears the place thay are made is a problem just like food, tooth paste and toys..
On the box you will see this:
MADE IN P.R.C.
What this means is " Peoples Republic of China"
The quality is not there.
I would not be telling this unless I have the experiece of using them , and the failures, to judge by.
The Vender only allows 30 day warrenty on these.
A signal, to beware.
They work fine as long as reasonable life can be had.
I don't think failures in less the 5000 miles is telling me these are quality parts.
Without mentioning vendor names, you can guess who is selling them.
If they get enough returns and customer dissatifaction, things will change in time.
Maybe I just got a bad batch but it still is indicating a quality problem.
Try this for an exersize,; go to Sears, WalMart, Home Depot etc and take a look at all the goods made in China and note how often you have a problem with items not performing as intended.
Begin to tell them about it or you will not get any parts worth a sh*t to work with in the future.
I had two coils fail a dealer stress test and one just fail outright while driving.
Replaced that coil with a new spare and all is well again.
When will the next one fail?

Last edited by Bluegrass; 08-18-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 AM
The coils!
They are auto transformers in design and not a primay/secondary type design.
All it takes to raise the voltage is add turns to the output part of the winding.
Then hope the insulation on the wire and the bobbin wound on, will withstand the higher voltage and heat of the motor.
Same input voltage and current for higher output.
The PCM actually looks at the waveform and current level each time the coil is fed it's power pulse.
A detection of wave shape tells the PCM what has happened because it is a predicitable result.
Shorted turns, open winding, shorted plug etc all have a different waveform signiture.
Same methods are used all over the drive train especially the solenoids in the transmission. That's how fault detection makes the PCM flash the OD lamp.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm hoping someone comes out with a decent set that can be trusted - so far the ebay COP's have the best record . Time will tell on the Motoblues - stay away from the Accels I guess..

I 've been running a set from a crate motor - crown vic motor. The Yellow stickered Ford factory COP's. I went threw two in the last 8 months.

The two went quickly after install , within two months time. Replaced with Motorcraft and everything has been fine for awhile now.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
the motoblues have not given me any problems yet. and with the power issue, of course raising voltage alone might not make a noticable increase in power, but once you re-gap the plugs, you will notice it, it's not a huge gain, but it's something, fuel economy has gone up also btw. only problem with adding voltage, is higher combustion temperatures, though your burning the fuel more efficiantly, the higher comb. temp increases NOX readings, your emissions could be perfect but you'll fail a smog due to the high nox reading.

Quick Reply: Finished cop install...